WOODS-L Archives

Archiver > WOODS > 1999-12 > 0945065947

From: Jennifer Beatty< >
Subject: [WOODS-L] Knox Co, OH--some Woods in census (Jackson Twp mostly)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 22:19:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi (Joanne Webb and list),

If Frederick Woods died in 1905 in Illinois, then the parents names probably
wouldn't be on the death certificate, but I'm pretty sure that his mother's
name was Mary, and would like to hope that his father's name was Timothy
(and had a large family).

Frederick Woods wasn't on the 1880 Knox Co, Ohio census (only Edward and
John Woods were listed as head of Woods households in 1880). Do you know
where he'd have been in 1880? Do you know if a census index exists online
for 1880 Indiana and Illinois? If you saw his 1880 census, it would say
where his parents were born, which would help somewhat.

As George Page noted recently, Frederick is in the 1870 census index near
Edward Woods and John Woods, who I really do think are his brothers. I did
not have a chance to dig into the census to look at their families.

In 1860, there is a Mary Wood, age 64, and Fredrick, age 24, in Jackson Twp,
Knox Co. Also in Jackson Twp are John Woods, age 23, along with his family
(wife and children); Thimathy (s/b Timothy?), age 34 with family; and Edward
Wood, age 32, with family. By 1860 my William Woods, age 42, was in Fremont
Co, Iowa.

In 1850, in Jackson Twp, Knox Co, is Mary Woods, age 48, born New Jersey,
Edward, 22, b OH, Jonathan, 20, b OH, Mary, 18, b OH, Fred, 16, b OH, and
John, 13, b OH, all in the same household. Nearby is Timothy Woods, age 25,
b OH, with family (not found in 1860+ Knox Co, OH); William Woods, 32, b PA,
with family (my line); John Wood, 32, b PA, with family (I don't know where
he was before or after 1850); and Richard Wood, 30, b PA, with family (but
not found in 1860+ Knox Co, OH).

According to "The History of Fremont County, Iowa," published 1881, my
William Woods came to Ohio from Washington County, PA, with his father's
family when he was 4 years of age; he was born in 1817. So in 1850, the
siblings who were 28 or older were born in PA, and the younger siblings were
born in Ohio.

In 1840, it gets more complicated. The only William Woods I find is in
Butler Twp, but he is the right age for mine. It doesn't totally match up to
what I was hoping, but it is very close; if they messed up males and
females, it could match. Here is the William Wood I find: William Wood,
20<30, 1 female 30<40 (Mary?), 2 males 15<20 (Richard & Timothy?), 1 male
10<15 (Edward?), 1 female 10<15 (if this was Jonathan, then the next male
could be Fred), 1 male 5<10 (Jonathan or Fred?), 1 female 5<10 (Mary?), 1
male 0<5 (John?).

In 1830, there is a Timothy Woods in Harrison Twp. He is 40<50; one female
30<40 (Mary?); 2 males 10<15 (William & Richard?); 1 male 5<10 (Timothy?); 1
female 5<10 (?); 1 male <5 (Edward?).

I am hoping that my analysis is correct, but it still needs to be proven or
disproven (or more evidence will be found that gives further direction).
There is still more census to look at, especially some of the other
Wood/Woods in Knox Co and surrounding areas. I think another thing that
helps is that a Timothy Woods is in the Washington County (where my William
Woods was supposed to have been born), Pennsylvania 1820 census, but is not
there in later censuses (such as 1830, when a Timothy Woods is in Knox Co,
Ohio).

Let me know what you think.

Jennifer

>Hi Jennifer; The farthest back I can go is Frederick's (Fredrick)birthplace
>in Ohio, Aug.7,1834. Joanne

This thread: