WOODWORTH-L Archives

Archiver > WOODWORTH > 1999-02 > 0918514578

From: Randal W Cooper <>
Subject: [WOODWORTH-L] John WOODWORTH, 1910, Coffey County, Kansas
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:56:18 -0800

Dear Researchers of Coffey County, Kansas,

I have traced John WOODWORTH from his birth in Ohio to his years in
Lewis County, Kentucky to his service in the Union Army's Twenty-second
Regiment of Kentucky Volunteer Infantry to his residence in
Williamsburg, Franklin County, Kansas [around 1883] to his farm in Rock
Creek Township, Coffey County, Kansas, by 1900.

John WOODWORTH was enumerated in the 1900 and 1910 Censuses of Rock
Creek Township, Coffey County, Kansas. In the 1910 Census, E.D. 21,
Sheet
70A, Dwelling 230, he was 73 years old [born Oct 1836], both he and his
parents born in Ohio and he had his own income. John Woodworth owned his
own farm, free of any mortgage. His wife Alice, age 51, was John's
second wife, and her first marriage. Alice and her parents were born in
Ohio. John and Alice were married about 1884. Alice had given birth to
two children, one of whom was living in 1910.

John WOODWORTH's cousin James WOODWORTH was enumerated in the 1900
Census of Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, Kansas. James WOODWORTH
was born Feb 1835 in Ohio, thus was 65 in 1900. Can you tell me anything
about his life after 1900?

When did John WOODWORTH die? Did he reside in Coffey County from 1910
until his death? Was his obituary published in the local newspaper? My
interest in John WOODWORTH stems from his friendship with my third-great
grandfather William COOPER. They were neighbors from about 1852 to about
1859, then served in the same Company in the Civil War, then lived as
neighbors from about 1865 to about 1875 or so, both periods in Quincy,
Lewis County, Kentucky.

In addition, John WOODWORTH provided one of the four affidavits
submitted with William COOPER's Invalid Pension Application. In the
affidavit, WOODWORTH relates being by COOPER's side when the line of
battle was formed at the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou, Mississippi, 29 Dec
1862. WOODWORTH gave an account of COOPER's being wounded in the
forehead by a gunshot, during the failed charge on the Confederate
entrenchments atop Hayne's Bluff.

It is because of this friendship that I am writing to you, in the hope
that I will be able to meet a descendant of John WOODWORTH and share the
information I have compiled. I am looking forward to meeting researchers
of Coffey County, Kansas, and others. Thank you for your help!

Randal W. Cooper <>
Lorain, Ohio

This thread: