WOOLLEY-L Archives

Archiver > WOOLLEY > 1998-08 > 0904363068

From: John Salter <>
Subject: Re: Woolley of Monmouth County, NJ
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:57:48 -0500

wrote:

> Hi I have a number of Woolleys in my family. If anybody has any Woolley
> ancestors from Monmouth County, NJ, please check out my Benjamin Woolley
> report on my website.
>
> http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/g/a/r/Ashley-Gardner/
>
> Thank you!
> Ashley Gardner

I have the following from Stillwell :

6 JOHN WOOLLEY, son of Emmanuel Woolley, 1, born October, 1659;
married, first, Mercy or Mary, daughter of Thomas and Ann Potter;
second, Aug. 12, 1730, Rachel Clark.

1685, Feb. 16. Patent to Judah Allen, for two hundred acres in
Shrewsbury, in many parcels, half thereof in right of John Woolley.

1691, September. John Woolley was on a Petit Jury, of Monmouth County.

1685, July 9. John Woolley and his brother, William Woolley, together
with Richard Hartshorne, John Hance, Judah Allen, Remembrance
Lippincott, William Lawrence, John Williams and Edmund Lafetra, had
license to purchase Indian lands at Manasquan.

1697. Edwin Woolley, of Poplar, has in his possession a deed for lands
that John Woolley bought of..... Tucker, at Poplar, described as bounded
on all sides by barren pine lands. Previous to this, in 1684 and 1692,
Thomas Potter sold to John Tucker lands at Deal, bounded on the West by
barren land, on the South by a brook which separated it from the line of
Thomas White, on the East by the Sea to Whale Pond brook comprising what
is now Elberon, N. J., and lands adjacent to it to the South and
Westward.

1698, July 19. Mercy Woolley makes affidavit relating to the signing
and sealing of the last will of Samuel White, of Shrewsbury, the date of
which was omitted.

1702, Nov. 2. Mary Woolley is left a legacy by her father, Thomas
Potter, of Freehold.

1705, Apr. 14. George Allen, John Woolley and Peter Wilson take the
inventory of the personal estate of Joseph Allen, of Shrewsbury.

1706, May 2. George Allen, John Woolley and John Rogers make inventory
of the estate of Francis Borden, of Shrewsbury.

1707. According to James Steen, John Woolley swore that he was forty-six
years old.

1709, Mch. 1. John Woolley was a Road Commissioner in Monmouth County.

1717, Nov. 9. John Woolley, of Shrewsbury, yeoman, and Mercy, his wife,
convey to "my son William Woolley," land at Poplar Swamp, that is
described as being the Northwest corner of the said John Woolley's land,
and as having been conveyed to him by Thomas Potter, Feb. 9, 1697.
Witnesses: Gabriel Stelle, Benjamin Woolley and Robert Allen.

1719/20, Mch. 17. John Lippincott, of Shrewsbury, in his will of this
date left a legacy to the Friends' Meeting, in Shrewsbury, which was to
be paid to John Woolley and John Tilton.

1730, Aug. 12. John Woolley and Rachel Clark, both of Shrewsbury, were
married at the house of John Woolley.

1732, Oct. 2. Will of John Woolley, of Shrewsbury, yeoman, "being
ancient and indisposed," proved May 30, 1743, mentioned:
wife, Rachel; sons, Thomas, William, John, and Benjamin Woolley, Thomas
being the eldest; daughter, Leah Den; daughter, Elizabeth, the wife of
John Field, [Feild]; daughter, Anne Mercy Allen. Executors: wife, and
"Cozin, William Hartshorne, Sr."

1739, Mch. 5. John Woolley and wife, Rachel were present at the marriage
of his grand-daughter, Hannah Woolley, to George Nicholson, at the house
of Thomas Woolley, in Shrewsbury.

1752, 9mo., 25. Will of Rachel Woolley, widow; proved Feb. 25, 1754,
left legacies to:
Mary Lawrence. daughter of John and Mary Campbell, deceased; to Leah,
daughter of John and Leah Den; to Hannah, daughter of John and Elizabeth
Field; to William Lawrence, son of Mercy Field; to The Indian School; to
Abigail Longstreet and Lydia Borden; to Mary, daughter of Daniel and
Content Clayton; to Shrewsbury Quaker Meeting; to Catherine, wife of
Peter Knott; to Mercy Field and her daughter, Catherine Lawrence; to
Elizabeth Lewis and her son, Samuel and to Rachel Hubbard.

Issue
20 Thomas Woolley born in Shrewsbury, 1 day, .....married Patience
Tucker.
21 Ruth Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, July 22, died, in
Shrewsbury, Sep. 14, 1687.
22 William Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Aug. 17, 16 .... ; married
Ruth Lippincott.
23 John Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Dec. 31, 1690; married Patience
Lippit.
24 Joseph Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Dec. 31, 1690; died, in
Shrewsbury, Feb. 1, 1705.
25 Benjamin Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Feb. 25, 1692.
26 James Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Aug. 6, 1695; died, in New
York, Feb. 17, 1716/17.
27 Elizabeth Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Apr. 23, 1697; died, in
Shrewsbury, October, 1699.
28 Leah Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Feb. 15, 1698; married, at her
father's house in Shrewsbury, Mch. 5, 1723/4, as his second wife, John
Mattock, son of James and Elizabeth (Maddox) Den, of Salem Co., West
Jersey. The births of her children are found on Salem Meeting Records,
but Shrewsbury Men's Meeting gave her certificate, Mch. 7, 1742/3. She
had
Issue
Mercy Den born Mch. 21., 1724
Amos Den born Sep. 21, 1727
Daniel Den born Oct. 1, 1728
Leah Den born Oct. 18, 1731
Paul Den born Apr. 18, 1734

29 Elizabeth Woolley born, in Shrewsbury, Apr. 17, 1700; married, Jan.
12, 1720/1, at Flushing, Long Island, John, son of Benjamin Field.

Issue
Hannah Field

30 Ann Mary, or Ann Marcy, or Anne Mercy, or Aumarcy Woolley, born in
Shrewsbury, Feb. 3, 1702; second intentions of marriage published at
Shrewsbury Meeting of Women, May 6, 1723, with Joseph (possibly the son
of Ephraim) Allen, born Apr. 1, 1697. He was granted a certificate to
marry, by Salem Meeting, Jan. 28, 1722; and they were granted a
certificate to remove to Shrewsbury, by Salem Meeting, Feb. 26, 1727.

Good luck,

John Salter

This thread: