WOOLSEY-L Archives

Archiver > WOOLSEY > 2001-10 > 1003165196

From: "Wilford Whitaker" <>
Subject: Re: Thomas Woolsey & Joanna ____ - Samuel Gilbert Woolsey cemetery
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:59:56 -0600

Hello, Sue Morrison:

Thank you for taking the time to reply so completely re: Samuel Bell &
Thomas & Joanna _____ Woolsey, etc. One of the reasons I asked was that a
few years ago I had come to the same conclusions that Marjorie Lewis Young
had about Thomas and Joanna _____ Woolsey, and I contacted her. She was
very pleasant and helpful, for which I was grateful. Thanks for sharing
that.

Mrs. N. C. Woolsey is Nellie Blanche Cramer Woolsey, of San Pedro, CA, who
was quite active in Woolsey family research in the 1920's and 1930's. She
was the w/o Charles Fletcher Woolsey, who was the s/o Charles Theodore
Woolsey of NY and St. Louis, MO & Hannah Martin Cockryne (she and her
parents were Mormon Converts from England who came to Nauvoo, IL and then
when the Mormons were driven out of Nauvoo, they went to St. Louis, MO. and
never went West with the main body of Mormons. I don't know if Nellie ever
knew of the "Mormon" background of these people.

Charles Theodore Woolsey was the s/o Rev. Charles Woolsey & Elizabeth Hills,
s/o William Woolsey & Jerusha Lyons, s/o John Woolsey & Elizabeth Haviland,
s/o John Woolsey & Rebecca ____, s/o Jonathan Woolsey and Abigail _____, s/o
Thomas Woolsey & Ruth Baylis, s/o of the Immigrants George Woolsey & Rebecca
Cornell. (Whew, there must be a better way of doing this?)

Nellie Blanche Cramer Woolsey was in close contact with a genealogist of
some note, Herbert Wood, who had the reputation of being a careful
researcher on the Woolsey family, of New York. His papers are in the
Library of the New York Genealogical & Biographical Society, in New York
City, where I spent a week and copied many of his papers.

Herbert Wood made a careful study of the "Eastern" Woolseys, while Nellie
concentrated on the "Western" Woolseys. Some of their correspondence is
also in the "Herbert Wood Papers" in the NYG&B Society Library.

During this period (1920's-1930's) Nellie was also in close contact with my
grandmother Clarissa Melissa Hickerson Whitaker. My grandmother saved
everything in a small wooden trunk, which was handed down to me by her
daughter, my aunt, Paloma Whitaker Stott, which included much of the
correspondence between my grandmother and Nellie.

Several times Nellie thanked my grandmother for the various bits of
information that she provided to help in the Woolsey family history,
especially on the "Western" branches of the family.

My grandmother, Clarissa Melissa (don't you just love that name?) Hickerson
Whitaker, was the d/o of Sarah WOOLSEY and George Washington Hickerson.
Sarah was the d/o Joseph Woolsey and Abigail Shaeffer of Fayette Co, IL.
Joseph Woolsey died about 1840 and Abigail and several of her children
joined the Mormon Church. Abigail started west with some of her children
but died in 1848 at the "ninth or last crossing of the Sweetwater", just
before they started up "Rocky Ridge", the last incline up the eastern side
of the Rockies on the Continental Divide. She is buried on the windy plains
of Wyoming, near the Sweetwater River and the "old highway", a carved
roughstone marker marks her final resting place.

Joseph Woolsey was the s/o the Revolutionary War Veteran Richard Woolsey of
Ulster Co, NY, Washington Co, VA and Jessamine Co, KY. He md Nancy
Plumbstead. Richard was the s/o the Rev. Thomas Woolsey of Westchester Co,
NY and St. Clair's (Sinclair's) Bottoms, on the South Fork of the Holston
River, in Washington Co, VA. He was one of the first Baptist ministers in
SW VA, by about 1771. Some of his children came from NY to VA later. My
grandmother Clarissa Melissa thought Rev. Thomas' wife was Sarah Pierce, but
I have been unable to prove that. Some researchers state Thomas & Sarah
were md in VA about 1772, which would make her too young for the Rev's
children, but I have been unable to prove that, either. The Rev. Thomas
Woolsey was the s/o Richard Woolsey and Sarah Fowler, s/o Thomas Woolsey &
Ruth Baylis, s/o of the Immigrants George Woolsey & Rebecca Cornell.

I have been rather particular about Nellie Woolsey, Herbert Wood and
Clarissa Melissa because much of what we have on certain branches of the
Woolsey family comes from those three individuals.

You ask about Priscilla Woolsey who md John Woolsey III. She was not given
as a child of Thomas Woolsey and Sarah Pierce by my grandmother, but I find
that my grandmother did not have complete information, either. I have
included Priscilla Woolsey as a child of Rev. Thomas Woolsey, because she
certainly could fit into that family. But I still don't have positive
proof. Rev. Thomas Woolsey left a will, but unfortunately, named only his
son Zephaniah in his will. His son Richard and Richard's wife Ann (Nancy
Plumbstead) were witnesses. So the jury is still out on Priscilla.

Your account of the Woolsey Family Cemetery of Fayetteville, ARK is quite
interesting. One of the Woolsey descendants is going there this weekend. I
hope she is able to clear up some of the questions involved. At this time I
have only the information from the newspaper article, so I hope we can clear
that up.

It sounds like a good project for descendants of Samuel Gilbert Woolsey
would be the clearing of that graveyard.

Again, thank you for your help and interest.

Sincerely, Wilford W. Whitaker