WORLD-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > WORLD-OBITS > 2005-07 > 1122249259

From: "Peter_McCrae" <>
Subject: PELTON; Chester Olan-30/6/1945-USA
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:54:19 +0100

Chester Olan Pelton was born at Liberty Grove, Texas January 5, 1896. His
parents were Harry Phillip "Pard" and Carah Belle Poovey Pelton. Pard Pelton
was born at Liberty Grove on April 7, 1874 and Carah Poovey was born in a
log cabin at Pleasant Valley February 28, 1877. Chester married Rosa
Willeford on August 9, 1916.

Rosa Lee Willeford was born near Sherman, Texas on October 15, 1894. Her
parents were James Wiley and Frances Abernathy Willeford. Rosa and her
family traveled by covered wagon to Prescott, Arkansas when she was only
nine years old. By the time Rosa was fifteen years old, her family had
returned to Texas and settled in the Liberty Grove area.

Rosa says that she came from a very poor family. Her dad had lost his arm
while working at a cane mill and her mother was sick most of the time. She
also says, "Many a day my mother was unable to get out of bed, but when it
came revival time we would load her in the back of a wagon and pull it up
beside the church window. She was at every revival. My family was a close
family and a very religious family. We believed first in God, and second we
believed in love. We were so poor that my daddy used pine sticks for
candles, but we always had love."

Chester and Rosa had twelve children total, but their legacy will live on in
their thirty-one grand children, fifty-six great-grand children and fourteen
great-great grand children. Their children according to age: Herman Phillip
who married Rita Waulterine Lambert; Lantha Ree who married Paul Brumit;
Nina Mae who married Herman Roman Kasberg and then Opel Truett Green; John
Morgan (Tom) who married Emogene Hamilton; infant Chester Burney; Gloria
Swanson who married Robert Eldin Ellis, Jr; Floy Belle who married Lonnie J
Gibson; Norman Gaile who married Ruby LaVerne Hall; Willie Kate who married
William J Coe; Wanda Lee who married Kenneth Charles Smith; Nelda Frances
who married Jess B Young, and then Shelby Bourns, and is now married to
Chuck Brand, and Dr. Barry Clifton Pelton, who was well known for developing
one of the largest doctoral programs in the Southwest while serving as
director of physical education at the University of Houston.

Chester lived until June 30, 1945, and Rosa Pelton died on August 10, 1998
at the age of 103 years. Both are buried at Pleasant Valley's pioneer
cemetery.

This thread: