WORLD-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > WORLD-OBITS > 2005-07 > 1122306241

From: "Peter_McCrae" <>
Subject: RANEY; Mark C.-1935-USA
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:44:01 +0100

Mark C. Raney was born during 1852 at Norris Creek, Tennessee. His parents,
Thomas and Martha Raney, were also born in Tennessee. Mark walked to Texas
at age sixteen, sometimes stopping and taking jobs for room and board. His
trip to Liberty Grove, texas took him through the river bottom of the Bois
d'arc and up the hill into Dallas County via an old wagon trail. This spot
was located where present day Stonewall Road nears Lake Ray Hubbard. It was
here that Mark Raney saw wild deer running thru the meadow.

Mark crossed the Bois d'arc on the Wells Toll Bridge and complained for the
next twenty years about having to pay a day's wages just to get across that
river. Once he crossed the river, he made his way to Pleasant Valley and
began working for Harmon Newman where he received room and board in addition
to wages. Several of the hired hands ended up marrying daughters of Harmon
Runnels Newman, and Mark Raney was one of those that married the farmer's
oldest daughter.

In March of 1877 Mark C. Raney married Parthenia Newman at Pleasant Valley.
Methodist minister E. S. Haynes conducted the ceremony. Mark and Parthenia
lived in a little log cabin near Parthenia's parents, Harmon and Emeline
McDaniel Newman. Mark and Parthenia had six children. They were namely
Harmon R. Raney; Thomas; Claud; Nettie; Kate, and Susie Raney.

Their first child, Harmon Runnels Raney, married Cora Mae Forster on
December 5, 1900 in Elm Grove. Children of Harmon and Cora were Elmer
Lafayette; Clyde Runnels, Florence Emma; Hubert Forster, and Mary Imogene
Raney. Harmon Raney was born on December 31, 1879 and lived until August 1,
1966.

Harmon was born at Pleasant Valley and moved to Liberty Grove TXat the age
of fifteen. He took great pride in telling about how the country was almost
solid timber and knee deep hog wallows when he was growing up. "We all
burned wood and would keep fire from one meal to the next. I remember that
on one occasion we ran out of fire and I had to walk a mile just to get a
bucket of fire, but we lived through it", Harmon later told his friends.

Mark was the second born of seven children. His brothers and sisters were
namely, William; Thomas who married Nell Sebastian; Jack; Catharine; Ellen,
and Texana Raney.

Mark's first wife, Parthenia, died in 1902. Mark moved to Garland TX and
remarried in later years. In 1927, a devastating tornado swept through
Garland destroying every house within a few hundred feet from Mark Raney's
home. Some thought that the storm affected his mind. Today it's called
Alzheimer. Mark Raney died in 1935 at Terrell State Hospital. Burial was in
Pleasant Valley's pioneer cemetery.

This thread: