WORLD-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > WORLD-OBITS > 2005-07 > 1122313146

From: "Peter_McCrae" <>
Subject: WALKER; Wesley Plant Tuley-2/9/1948-USA/TX
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:39:06 +0100

Wesley Walker and Ivory Camella Plant Tuley
Source: Proud Heritage, Vol 3 by DCPA.

By Junius O. Tuley

I am the youngest of five boys. The three oldest were born in Grayson
County, Texas. Their names are Thomas Millard (June 20, 1912), J. D. "Jack"
(September 2, 1914), and Garvin Brad Tuley (August of 1917). Ben Murray and
I were born at McKinney, Texas, he on July 14, 1922 and I on January 14,
1925.

Our parents were Wesley Walker and Ivory Camella (Plant) Tuley. They were
sharecroppers when they married in January of 1910. He was born November 4,
1888 and she was born October 28, 1893. Our mother traveled to Texas with
her parents by covered wagon. She was seven years old when they arrived in
1900. Her family was from Rosebud, Arkansas. Our dad's family traveled to
Texas from Maury County, Tennessee and settled near Ovilla in Ellis County.

Times were tough for farmers in those days, so our parents moved to Pauls
Valley, Oklahoma for a year. They soon found tougher times there and moved
back to Van Alstyne. This trip was made on one of those modern steam
locomo-tives. Our parents saw their first horseless carriage shortly after
their return trip. Mother would often tell us kids how ex-cited everyone got
over seeing that thing coming down the road.

Our family moved to Dallas around 1925. We moved into a house on Alaska
Street in the Oak Cliff area. Transportation was wonder-ful. You could get
to any place in Dallas from Oak Cliff on the new electric streetcars. The
fare was seven cents for adults and three cents for children.

The family later moved to a house in downtown Dallas near the old St Paul
Hospital. Garvin, Benny and I graduated from N. R. Crozier Technical High.
Our dad made fried pies and sold them to the grocery stores and our brother,
Millard, had a job working for James L. Lewis Vending. A package of
cigarettes cost seventeen cents in those days and his job was to slit the
cellophane with a razor blade and insert three pennies into the package.
Customers would insert two dimes and get three cents change inside each
package. Times were tough for just about everyone during the depression
years. We moved every year back then.

Our family moved to a farm near Mesquite one year. There was no electricity
or running water in that old house. Millard owned a Model T Ford and kept it
in the large barn out back. My dad was making chili for Mr. Howard on Elm
Street in downtown Dallas in those days. His place was located across from
the Continental Gin Company. La Fiesta was the chili's brand name.

We were back to Dallas the following year and moved into a house on
Southland Street. Southland was just one street north of Hatcher. Hatcher
was the dividing line for a section of southern Dallas that was known as
colored town in those days.

J. D. entered the Civilian Conservation Corps around 1935. He earned $25 a
month. This was a great program that helped a lot of families make it
through the great depression. Dad was finally able to buy a car around 1939.
It was a Willis Whippet. He later purchased an old Studebaker. Benny was
working in the circulation department for the Dallas Times Herald and bought
a 1935 Chevrolet, which he used on his paper route.

I answered my country's call during WW II and entered the service in 1943 at
18 years of age. I went in weighing 117 pounds and weighed 129 when I was
discharged in 1946.

J. P. Dale, a minister from the Primitive Baptist Church, offici-ated at our
dad's funeral on September 2, 1948. Dad was 59 years of age. Our mother died
January 28, 1965 at Jack's home in Port Arthur, Texas. Both are buried in a
little country cemetery at Tioga, Texas.

This thread: