WORTHINGTON-L Archives

Archiver > WORTHINGTON > 2000-02 > 0951598687

From: <>
Subject: [WORTHINGTON] Runaway Slaves from Maryland
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:58:07 EST

I forward the below because we must never forget

Baltimore Sun January 1, 1858- article on a runaway slave

$100 REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber on Saturday night, the 25th of
July, 1857, Negro Man JIM BELL. Jim is about five feet ten inches high, black
color, about 26 years of age, has a down look; speaks slow when spoken to; he
has large, thick lips, and a mustache. He had on when he left home a black
cloth frock coat, cotton pantaloons, with a small blue stripe down the legs,
and black and white straw hat. He was formerly owned by Edward Stansbury,
late of Baltimore county, and purchased by Edward Worthington, near
Reisterstown, in Baltimore county, at the late Stansbury sale, who sold him
to B.M. & W. L. Campbell, of Baltimore city, of whom I purchased him on the
13th of June last. His wife, Mary Bell, lives with her mother, Ann Roberson,
in Corn Alley, between Lee and Hill streets, Baltimore city, where he has
other relations, and where he is making his way. I will give the above
reward, no matter where taken, so he is brought home or secured in jail so I
get him again.
ZACHARIAH BERRY, of W., near Upper Marlboro, Prince George's county, Md.
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199702/msg00236.html)
Baltimore Sun September 13, 1855- article on a runaway slave

$500 REWARD - Ran away on September 9th, from the residence of Col. Wm. F.
Johnson, near Brooklandville Post Office, Baltimore county, where she was
hired, my mulatto Girl called MARY (can't make these two words out), is
supposed to be about 22 years of age, five feet five inches in height,
slender made, and rather (can't make this word out) features. She took a
variety of clothing. She is the daughter of a mulatto preacher by the name of
Singleton Hughes, and left in company, it is supposed, with three servants of
Mr. Robert Dennison. The undersigned will pay the above reward, provided said
mulatton slaves is captured and secured so that she may be delivered to me,
anywhere in the State of
Maryland.
JOHN W. WORTHINGTON Post office at Reisterstown, Balto Co, Md.
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199701/msg00418.html)
Baltimore Sun October 7, 1847- article on a runaway slave

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber, living in
Baltimore county, Md., on Monday night, October 4, Negroes JACOB BERRY and
JOSEPH FOX. Jacob's dress, drab cloth pantaloons and roundabout, is about 5
feet 10 inches high, stout, round face, has lost one of his front teeth, has
a scar on his cheek, long bushy hair, knock-kneed, has a very long foot, and
is about twenty-one years of age. Joe is very black, dressed in dark
pantaloons and drab roundabout, about 18 years of age, 5 feet 8 inches high,
slender make, and stammers when spoken to. Each of them wore a cap. I will
give the above reward for the apprehension and delivery of the said Negroes,
or Two Hundred Dollars for either.
SAMUEL WORTHINGTON
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199703/msg00611.html)
Baltimore Sun December 24, 1847- article on a runaway slave

FIFTY DOLLARS REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber living in Baltimore
county, near Elvsville (Not sure of this name) on the Baltimore and Ohio
Railroad, a dark MULATTO MAN who calls himself TOM HUGHSON. Said mulatto is
about five feet nine inches high, about 24 years of age, is lame in one hip
(which one not recollected) and walks with a cane. Had on when he went away,
drab pantaloons, grey roundabout, black hat, and a pair of coarse boots and
shoes pegged and nailed. The above reward will be paid if he is secured in
any jail in the State, so that I get him again.
REZIN H. WORTHINGTON
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199703/msg00655.html)
Baltimore Sun May 19, 1863- article on a runaway slave

$50 REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber on Sunday, the 17th instant, two
NEGROES, NICK AND JOSHUA. Nick is about five feet four inches high, copper
color, with thick bushy hair and about twenty-eight years of age. Joshua is
very black, with short nappy hair, about eighteen years of age, and stammers
very much when spoken to. He is about four feet seven inches in hight. They
are both stout built; their clothing consists of drab full cloth, besides
they may have with them suits of other colors.
These negroes went off with several others from my immediate neighborhood. I
will give Fifty Dollars reward for either if delivered at No. 282 Pratt
Street, Baltimore.
NOAH WORTHINGTON (of Thomas) near Randallstown, Baltimore co, Md.
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199704/msg00318.html)
Baltimore Sun March 7, 1863- article on a runaway slave

$25 REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber, on the 2d of March, a NEGRO MAN,
BILL; he calls himself Wilmot Smith. He had on when he left home a grey suit,
and wore a cap. He is of a light black color and wore a slight beard.
Supposed to be about five feet six inches high. I will give the above reward,
provided he is placed in jail so that I get him.
BENJ. T. WORTHINGTON Reisterstown Post Office, Baltimore county, Md.
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199704/msg00451.html)
***************************************
Baltimore Sun March 16, 1863- article on a runaway slave

$20 REWARD - Ran away on the 3d instant, from the subscriber, living near
Reisterstown, Baltimore county, a negro man who calls himself BILL BROWN,
aged about 55 or 60 years. He is a dark mulatto, with a scar from the cut of
a knife all across his right cheek; had on a good drab cloth sack coat and
trowsers, good shoes, stockings and hat, and carried with him an axe. He is
probably skulking about the premises of Mr. Alexander Browne, near Brookland,
Baltimore county, or Dr. Nicholas Hutchins, near
Monkton, as he has a daughter hired at both places, or at Major Chas. W.
Hood's, near Sykesville, Carroll county, where he has a grand-daughter. I
will give the above reward for his apoprehension and return to me at my
residence.
MARY G. WORTHINGTON
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199704/msg00491.html)
***********************************
Baltimore Sunn May 19, 1863- article on a runaway slave

FIFTY DOLLARS REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber, on the 17th inst, Negro
PETER BANKS, about five feet ten inches high, dark copper color and aged
about twenty-five years; speaks quick and has long bushy hair; is stout
built. This negro ran off with several others from my immediate neighborhood.
I will give the above reward for said negro if delivered at No. 282 PRATT
STREET, Baltimore
JOSHUA F. C. WORTHINGTON near Randallstown, Baltimore county
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199704/msg00611.html)
*********************************
Baltimore Sun May 15, 1863- article on a runaway slave

$100 REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber, Baltimore county, near
Reisterstown, on the 10th of May, FOUR NEGROES - One is a yellow Boy, likely
and slender in his make, tall and dressed in linen trousers and cotton
oanburg shirts and good shoes; about 17 or 18 years old, named Charles
Williams; one other is black as a crow, about 17 or 18, and rather short;
good linen pantaloons; shoes not so good; one other verly likey
copper-colored Boy, aged about 15 or 16, and dressed in good linen pantaloons
and cotton shirt; shoes a good deal worn; the other a dark colored Boy, named
Bill, aged about 14, with the same clothes. They each took two shirts, which
I expect are on their backs. I will give One Hundred Dollars reward for their
apprehension, ifsecured in jail so that I get them again, or Twenty-five
dollars for
either. They may make their way to Washington, D.C.
MARY G. WORTHINGTON
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199704/msg00650.html)
*********************************
Baltimore Sun May 19, 1863- article on a runaway slave. The article
appeared in the "

$50 REWARD - Ran away from the subscriber, on Sunday, the 17th instant, two
NEGROES, NICK and JOSHUA. Nick is about five feet four inches high, copper
color, with thick bushy hair and about twenty-eight years of age. Joshua is
very black, with short nappy hair, about eighteen years of age, and stammers
very much when spoken to. He is about four feet seven inches in height. They
are both stout built; their clothing consists of drab full cloth, besides
they may have with them suits of other colors.
These negroes went off with several others from my immediate neighborhood. I
will give Fifty Dollars reward for either, if delivered at No 282 Pratt
street, Baltimore.
NOAH WORTHINGTON, (of Thomas,) near Randallstown, Baltimore co, Md.
(Submitted by Louis S. Diggs
http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199704/msg00740.html)

Anne Worthington White

This thread: