WRIGHT-L Archives

Archiver > WRIGHT > 2002-02 > 1014923603

From: (Carol Wells)
Subject: [WR] Lemuel Wright & other biblical names
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:13:50 -0600

Oh! I have looked with the greatest interest at the family of Edward
Wright who died 1747 Dorchester County, Maryland. He was born about 1699,
married by 1723 to Martha Kennerly (she disowned by Quakers for marryhing
out of the faith "disowned. Marrie by a priest."). lMartha was born about
1702/3 da;ughter of Joshua Kennerly and Martha Everndon. Apparently the
marriage was against her father's wishes because in his will he left her
only one shilling.

The children of Edward Wright and Martha Kennerly Wright were
Joshua who inherited "Chapman's Fellowship" in Baltimore Co., MD
William born ? died by 1777
Edward born about 1723/4 married Ann Cannon, widow Wilson. Edward died 1794/5.
Levin married Maryh Rumbly
Jacob married Milcah Cannon dau of Jesse Cannon
Lemuel is the man I wish were mine but he is shown to have remained in
Dorchester unless I am reading the records wrongly.

References for above: Dorchester Land Records, Vol. 25 p.138 (1746/48)
Liber 1 = JCH incomplete Number WB
Deed 10 March 1732 gives wife's name
Deposition 13 Nov 1739- 4 April 1740 gives Edward's age
Will of Joshua Kennerly of Dorchester to dau Martha Right
Inventory of Edward Wright, Vol. 36 p.169
Vol. 26 Testamentary Proceedings. bond of Martha Wright, WEm Kennerly her
bro & Wm Grantham her sureties.
Dorchester County Journal May 1984 query from Mrs Hanford Carr

The above Lemuel Wright was born about 1745 and died: will signed 6 of 12
mo 1794; probated l27 Sept 1796. Lived Caroline County, MD (Caroline was
cut from Dorchester and Queen Anne in 1773) Lemuel's wife was
Elizabeth. Their children were Mary, Ann, Daniel, Jacob, Rachel, Sarah.

I have STRUGGLED with this Wright family. If Edward could name a son
Lemuel, so could his brothers and perhaps there is where my Lemuel Wright
came from.

If another Lemuel Wright is known, maybe in Dorchester, maybe in Queen
Anne's, please share the information with me. Carol

This thread: