WVA-L Archives

Archiver > WVA > 2004-04 > 1081822469

From: "Cristy" <>
Subject: Re: [WVA] Salt Mines of Malden, WV
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:14:29 -0400

I also found this article:

Early Industrial Boom
By the early 1800s, salt brines were discovered along the Kanawha River and
the first salt well was drilled in 1806. This created a prosperous time and
great economic growth for the area. By 1808, 1,250 pounds of salt were being
produced a day. An area adjacent to Charleston, Kanawha Salines, now Malden,
would become the top salt producer in the world. In 1818, Kanawha Salt
Company, first trust in United States, went into operation.
Captain James Wilson, while drilling for salt, would strike the first
natural gas well in 1815. It was drilled at the site that is now the
junction of Brooks Street and Kanawha Boulevard (near the present-day state
capitol complex.)
In 1817, coal was first discovered and gradually became used as the fuel for
the salt works.

I have been reading that animals followed the river where the salt lay on
the banks and Indians followed. Soon others came to get the salt.

Cristy