WVBRAXTO-L Archives

Archiver > WVBRAXTO > 2000-07 > 0964416813

From: "E. C. Rogers" <>
Subject: Re: [WVBRAXTO] TB Hospitals in WV
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:33:33 -0700

Diane,

Thanks for the information. I may try checking on my father's records.

Does anyone know if TB is still a significant problem in West Virginia??

It has been interesting to see this series of messages because of my
family's problems with TB.

My gggrandfather John Rogers died of it. My grandfather Matthew died of
it leaving my grandmother with a baby boy and a 4-year old boy to raise.
My father, Chester Rogers, was in Hopemont when I was born and was sent
home to die with his family a year later in 1929. I have the letter
from a doctor stating that they could do no more for him. My mother
caught it - probably from him - and died after suffering with TB for 8
years.

My father did not accept the medical death sentence and read everything
he could put his hands on about treatments - he did not want to die and
leave a young family. He got lots of rest, best diet he could, sunshine
and fresh air. He even slept with his bedroom window open in
mid-winter. Snow at times would blow in on his bed. I was too little
to know about such things, but my grandmother knew a lot about the wild
herbs which grew all around us, so I imagine she used some of them to
help him.

Whatever the total home treatment program was, it worked!! He died 41
years after Hopemont sent him home to die and from causes not related to
TB.

When it was necessary to leave Braxton County to find work during World
War II, he chose to move us to the desert Southwest because he had read
that TB susceptible people do better there. That seems to have broken
the TB curse for our family branch. I never got it although I was
exposed to it for 10 years as a child.

Clark