WVGREENB-L Archives

Archiver > WVGREENB > 2001-05 > 0989779704

From: "jpbcsb" <>
Subject: [WVGREENB] Thomas Beard b abt 1735
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 13:52:50 -0500

My 4th-Greatgrandfather, Samuel Beard left Greenbrier Co, WV with a party of
17 family and servants about 1796 and went to Adair Co, KY. He was born
abt 1765. I think the Thomas, son of this first Thomas may be his father.
I have Will information listed below for that Thomas that's in Greenbrier
Co, WV Will Book 1 (prior to 1833) page 440, 1814, with the appraisement in
the same book page 472, 1815. Does anyone know how I could get a copy of
those two documents or does anyone have any information on Thomas? These
Beards were pioneers in Greenbrier County and married into many of the other
pioneer families. Thanks for any help anyone might have. Jim
Descendants of Thomas Beard

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 BEARD was born Abt. 1715 in Scotland, and died in Probably
Greenbrier Co, WV. He married JEAN MCNUTT Abt. 1731 in Probably Staunton,
Augusta Co, VA. She was born Abt. 1711, and died in Lived In Greenbrier Co,
WV.

Notes for THOMAS BEARD:
Thomas Beard was born in Scotland and came to America prior to 1730 to PA
and then moved to Staunton, Augusted Co, VA, prior to settling on 1200 acres
of prime land 3 miles northeast of Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, VA (now WV).
The Beards were among the pioneers of this county, noted for their industry,
integrity, and interest in public advancement. They were bone and sinew of
Presbyterianism in this comunity, and are among the first elders of this
faith in this county. One grandson, Samuel, who married Margaret Walkup,
was a Major in the Comtinental Army. Many of Thomas' descendents were
doctors, lawyers, and public officials.

Children of THOMAS BEARD and JEAN MCNUTT are:
i. ELIZABETH2 BEARD, b. Abt. 1732, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA.
2. ii. JOHN BEARD, b. 1733, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA; d. 1808, Lewisburg,
Greenbrier Co, WV.
iii. THOMAS BEARD, b. Abt. 1735, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA; d. 1814,
Greenbrier Co, WV.

Notes for THOMAS BEARD:
Thomas is a likely candidate as the father of Samuel Beard in my primary
Beard file. His Will was filed in Greenbrier Co, WV, and is in Greenbrier
Co, WV Will Book 1 (up to 1833) on page 440 with the appraisement in the
same will book on page 472, placed there in 1815. We need to get a copy of
these to see if our Samuel is listed.

iv. ROSA BEARD, b. Abt. 1737, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN2 BEARD (THOMAS1) was born 1733 in Staunton, Augusta Co, VA, and
died 1808 in Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV. He married JANET WALLACE January
01, 1769 in Staunton, Augusta Co, VA. She was born 1746 in Lexington,
Rockbridge Co, VA, and died 1819 in Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV.

Notes for JOHN BEARD:
John's will is in Greenbrier Co, WV Will Book 1 (up to 1833) in 1808 on page
239 with the appraisement in the same book 1809 on page 264.

More About JOHN BEARD:
Burial: September 27, 1808, Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV

Children of JOHN BEARD and JANET WALLACE are:
i. JOHN3 BEARD, b. Abt. 1769, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA.
ii. MARGARET BEARD, b. Abt. 1773, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA.
iii. SABINA BEARD, b. Abt. 1781, WV.
iv. ELIZABETH BEARD, b. Abt. 1782, WV.
v. JESSE BEARD, b. Abt. 1785, Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV.
vi. THOMAS BEARD, b. 1776, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA; d. December 22, 1853,
Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV.
vii. MARY BEARD, b. 1786, WV.
viii. WILLIAM RYNECH BEARD, b. January 08, 1788, Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co,
WV; d. April 03, 1871.
ix. AGNES BEARD, b. May 28, 1779, WV.
x. JANE BEARD, b. August 06, 1774, WV; d. May 28, 1848.
3. xi. SAMUEL BEARD, b. September 24, 1771, Staunton, Augusta Co, VA; d.
June 05, 1850, Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV.
xii. JOSIAH JONAS BEARD, b. December 23, 1792, WV; d. January 04, 1878.

Generation No. 3

3. SAMUEL3 BEARD (JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born September 24, 1771 in Staunton,
Augusta Co, VA, and died June 05, 1850 in Lewisburg, Greenbrier Co, WV. He
married MARGARET WALKUP.

Notes for SAMUEL BEARD:
Samuel was a Major in the Continental Army.

Child of SAMUEL BEARD and MARGARET WALKUP is:
4. i. CHRISTOPHER4 BEARD, b. April 01, 1798, VA.

Generation No. 4

4. CHRISTOPHER4 BEARD (SAMUEL3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born April 01, 1798 in
VA. He married MIRIAM MCNELL.

Children of CHRISTOPHER BEARD and MIRIAM MCNELL are:
i. DR SAMUEL CHRISTOPHER5 BEARD, b. October 03, 1831, Lewisburg, Greenbrier
Co, WV; m. MARTHA ESTALINE HAMILTON.
ii. JOHN A BEARD.

This thread: