WVLINCOL-L Archives

Archiver > WVLINCOL > 1998-12 > 0913268636

From: (by way of "James J. Adkins II" <>
Subject: [WVLINCOL-L] Cornstalk
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 23:43:56 -0600

James, here is the Cornstalk file that got messed up.

Cornstalk Commanded Indians at Battle of Point Pleasant- Rev War Chief
Cornstalk, or Colesquo, a Shawnee Indian or Native American, was born in 1727
in the present confines of Greenbriar County, WV. The group to which
Cornstalk's family belonged was a migratory group culturally allied to
Southern Algonquin rather than to the Iroquois. The name "Shawnee" means
"from the south". The Shawnees originated in the Carolinas and migrated into
Maryland by the 1600's and into Pennsylvania and during the 1720's and 40's
they migrated across the Ohio River with the Delaware Indians as a result of
pressure from the whites. Here in the Ohio country, they were granted land by
the Wyandotte Tribe and Cornstalk became Chief of the Sioto branch of the
Shawnee. Cornstalk was the son of Chief Whitefish and a grandson of Paxinosa,
chief of the Shawnee during their time in Pennsylvania. Paxinosa married a
Delaware who was a Moravian convert, and Paxinosa was always friendly to the
whites. Chief Cornstalk and Chief Logan, along with Cornstalk's son, Chief
Elinipsico, Chief Blue Jacket and Chief Red Hawk, commanded the Indian forces
at the Battle of Point Pleasant on October 10, 1774. All fought bravely, but
none of the Chiefs were injured. In 1777, Chief Cornstalk, his son,
Elinipsico, Chief Red Hawk and another Indian were murdered by irate whites at
Fort Randolph, Point Pleasant. Cornstalk was first buried not far from the
camp where he fell, near the intersection of the present Virginia and Kanawha
Streets in Point Pleasant, but in later years (1841) his remains were removed
to the court house enclosure.
In revenge for the murder of Chief Cornstalk's family and of Chief Logan's
family, the Indians massacured an untold number of whites all along the
frontier. Of the Indians who participated in the memorable Battle of Point
Pleasant, two--Cornstalk and Logan-- stand out in bold relief above all the
rest. In physical development, manly beauty and intellectual capacity, they
were magnificent specimens of their race. For bravery they could not be
excelled, and for self-composed dignity of bearing, ease of manner and fervid
eloquence they would, from the accounts we have of them, compare favorably
with the best orators of any age. Mr. Thomas Jefferson, author of the
Declaration of Independence, and who has immortalized Logan and his touchingly
eloquent speech, thought him the equal of any of the ancient Greek or Roman
orators. It has been doubted by many whether Logan was the author of the
speech. However, Col. John Gibson, who was with Lord Dunmore at Camp
Charlotte, claimed to have heard it direct from Logan and vouched for its
authenticity. Col. Gibson gives the following account of Logan's speech: "I
appeal to any white may to say if he ever entered Logan's cabin hungry, and he
gave him not meat; if ever he came cold and naked, and he clothed him not.
During the course of the last long and bloody war, Logan remained idle in his
cabin, an advocate of peace. Such was my love for the whites that my
countrymen pointed as they passed, and said: 'Logan is the friend of the
white man.' I had even thought to live with you, but for the injuries of one
man. Colonel Cresap, the last Spring, in cold blood and unprovoked, murdered
all the relations of Logan, not even sparing my women and children. There
runs not a drop of my blood in the veins of any living creature. This called
on me for revenge. I have sought it. I have killed many; I have glutted my
vengeance. For my country, I rejoice at the beams of peace; but do not harbor
a thought that mine is the joy of fear. Logan never felt fear. He will not
turn on his heel to save his life. Who is there to mourn for Logan? No one."
Logan, weighed down by his sorrows, gave himself up to intemperance, becoming
a sot, and was finally murdered by a brother-in-law, on his return from a trip
to Detroit. John Hale concludes "That greatness and great misfortunes are apt
to go together; there are many examples among the illustrious names of the
white race, and the histories of Cornstalk, Logan, Pontiac, Tecumseh, and
others, illustrate the same rule in their race. I think most of this came
from John P. Hale's book.
Glad to hear that you got to visit your grandfather, Edsel. Seems like
Thanksgiving or Christmas always make such visits even more special. Lincoln
County has had a beautiful Autumn with plenty of sunshine and warm weather.
Have a wonderful Christmas. HRS

Regards. .

This thread: