WVLOGAN-L Archives

Archiver > WVLOGAN > 2004-01 > 1074022972

From: Mowery Joseph D DLVA <>
Subject: RE: [WVLOGAN] shawnee lettuce
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:42:52 -0500

Try looking here.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cmnshtml/cmnssubjindex.html

v/r,
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:02 PM

Peggy: Shawnee is a wild plant, just like dandolion and some of the other
edible wild greens we used to pick. If I remember right, shawnee looks
similar to that of a wild violet except it is a lighter green in color. Its
been a long time since I went "green pickin". This is the first time I ever
heard it referred to as lettuce although it is similar and can be eaten
without cooking with onions and bacon fat.

Perhaps the library under wild native plants for southern WV.
might be a place to start.

Beulah