WVMONROE-L Archives

Archiver > WVMONROE > 2008-11 > 1226855102

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [WVMONROE] Walker Family -- 350 Years in America -- 1658 to 2008
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:05:02 GMT

Linda & Linda:
Do you know if your WALKERs are related to the famous mountain man and experienced scout Joseph Reddeford (aka Reddford, but actually Rutherford) Walker, who often went by Joseph R. Walker, 13 Dec. 1798-27 Oct. 1876? See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Reddeford_Walker and http://www.josephrwalker.com/Introduction.htm .
My CRAIGs (and NICKELLs, NICKLEs) are also of Monroe and Greenbrier counties Virginia (now West Virginia). We have tried for years to connect to a William CRAIG (1807-1869) also a mountain man and who claimed he was born in Greenbrier County. William was one of the approximately 40 mountain men and others with Capt. Joe Walker on the 1833 trek over the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Deane Oliver Craig, Sr. in Las Vegas, NV

-- Linda Perdue <> wrote:
Linda,

My main family line that I am researching is KINCAID. I have a Hannah Kincaid who married a James M. Walker, Sr. in Greenbrier Co. VA I have not been able to find out anything else about this couple. Have you or any other Walker researcher run accross this couple?

The following is all the information I have on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hannah Kincaid married James M. Walker, Sr.
b: ca1782/3 12-13-1798 b: 1775
Greenbrier Co., VA
d: d: 1867
Note: Marriage Bond:
Bond for marriage between James Walker and Hannah Kincaid dated Dec. 8, 1798 signed by James Walker and George Kincaid

Permission given on Dec.8, 1798 for James Walker to marry my daughter Hannah Kincaid
Signed By: John Kincaid and Elizabeth Kincaid
Teste: George Kincaid and Thomas Terry

Hannah was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Gillespie Kincaid.

Linda Perdue

wrote:

WALKERS -- 350 YEARS IN AMERICA

This may have some mistakes but a DNA test by one of my second cousins
confirms the relationship going back to the 1600s.
--Linda Steorts Kaufman

William Walker Born ca 1640 in England, died 1723 in Virginia (at least
three generations of our family names are on the church registry of Saint
Peters Parish Church in New Kent County, VA, built 1701 and still in use
today. It is known as Martha Washington's church before she married George
Washington.) William married Elizabeth Warren.

Sylvanus Walker Born about 1686 in New Kent County, probably the 8th
child. He married Susanna Ann Tandy.

Tandy Walker Born Dec. 13, 1714 as recorded in the Saint Peter's Church
Registry. He died Oct. 24, 1751 in Lunenburg County, VA. He married Judy
Langford.

Sylvanus Walker Born 1740 in VA, died in SC. He was the one who sued
George Clendenin over a large tract of land in Greenbrier County. Still a minor
when both his parents died, he rejected the guardian named by his mother and
chose Memucan Hunt who was active in government. He married Sarah Blagrave.

Memucan Walker Born Sept. 22, 1764 in Lunenburg County, VA died May 2,
1836 in Greenbrier County,
(W)VA. Memucan joined the Revolutionary War from Lunenburg County. The
family was in western SC about the time of the war's end, near Abbeville.
Memucan can be found in records in SC and Greenbrier County in the late 1700s.

His first wife is thought to have been a Nancy due to a document witnessed
by Memucan Walker and Nancy Walker. He taught school in greenbrier County in
1796, thought to be the first school in the county. He had two sons by a
possible first marriage:

Beverly Allen Walker Born about 1796, died 1834, married Francis Wilkes.
Sylvanus Walker Born Oct. 28, 1794, died about 1866. He was a
Methodist Minister in Alabama.

Memucan Walker married second Mary "Molly" Dorman in MD in 1800 and this
marriage was annulled by the state of MD in Jan. 1810. This precedure for this
annullment was probably started a long time before it was final.

Amos Walker Born Oct. 10, 1805. I thought until recently that Amos was a
son of Molly's but I saw an entry in Memucan's Bible which he purchased in
1810 that said Amos was the son of Rachael Lewis Walker. Does any one have
any proof of Amos Walker's parentage and also did he die in France?

Memucan Walker married third Rachael Lewis in Greenbrier County in 1808.
Their children were listed in the Walker Family Bible. It is interesting to
note that Memucan had a son who was a Methodist minister, a grandson and a great
grandson who were both Baptist ministers and many other descendants are
ministers into the present day. I've often wondered if those good old time
Baptist ministers are rolling over in their graves at the present ones that
include a liberal Unitarian. Memucan's Bible is now in the possession of Memucan's
great grandson's grandson.

Joel Walker Born 1809, died 1887 in Braxton County. married Lucinda Fuel
or Fewell
Jane Walker Born 1810, died 1862 in Summers County, married John Hicks.
Hezekiah Lewis Walker Born 1813, died 1881 in Roane County, married
1 Nancy Spencer, 2 Francis Margaret Campbell.
John Blagrave Walker Born 1815, died 1893, married Mary Ann Taylor.
James A. Walker Born about 1818 (need more info on him)
Rachael Ellen Walker Born 1818, died 1876 in Raleigh County, married
Abraham Bragg.
Lucinda Walker Born 1824, died 1901, married James Richmond.

Additions and / or corrections are welcome.
Linda Steorts Kaufman

A New Way to Get Free & Discounted Offers -- FreeInternet.com!
Visit http://offers.juno.com/TGL1121/?u=http://www.freeinternet.com

This thread: