WVWYOMIN-L Archives

Archiver > WVWYOMIN > 2003-11 > 1070151969

From: Connie Browing <>
Subject: Re: [WVWyomin] Re: Iredell Co Stewarts
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:27:08 -0700

Dear Judy,

Here is my analysis Re. John Stuart. I would appreciate it if you would
consider it for your personal use only, and not issue it to anyone who
might use it for monetary gain or release it to the internet. I am still
smarting over a previous case where conclusions were drawn that
corresponded to mine, but I couldn't tell if someone had distributed my
analysis to the internet or I was blessed with an independent source who
agreed with me.

Note: The generational references with the names are strictly my own
convention.

Keep truckin, STAN

John Stuart (2), brother of Capt Ralph Stuart is somewhat of a mystery
man. He is one of many John Stewarts whom historians have not been able to
differentiate. We know that John Stewart (2) was a brother to Robert (2),
Ralph (2) and James (2) Stuart, sons of James Stuart (1) of Cowpasture, and
that he was born about 1748, possibly in Pennsylvania or Augusta County,
Virginia.

Traditional stories say that John accompanied his brothers, Ralph and James
to what is now Randolph County, West Virginia, but there are no records to
support this story. In fact, when the farm was sold after James’ death,
Ralph was the only brother who held an interest. When James’ estate was
settled, claims were listed against Ralph and Robert, but not John.

It has been widely accepted that the John Cooper referenced in Wither’s
Border Warfare, page 234, was a son of James Stuart (1) of Augusta County.
The account describes the death in 1777 of one John Stuart and his family
at the hands of the Indians. Heretofore, there has been no evidence by
which to support or refute the belief that this was indeed the son of James
Stuart (1) of Cowpasture.

Recent DNA results made available to the writer by Jacob Lee (“Buck”)
Stewart, prove that he and James Oliver Stewart, a descendent of Capt.
Ralph Stewart, share a common male ancestor, and thus there is a link
between the John Stewart family of Iredell County, North Carolina, and the
Capt. Ralph Stewart family of Wyoming County, West Virginia. John Stewart
of Iredell County, North Carolina stated that he was born in Augusta
County. Also, his reported age was in agreement with that reported for
Capt. Ralph Stewart’s brother John. This all gives rise to a hypothesis
that John Stuart (2) of Cowpasture, Bath County, Virginia, was not killed
by Indians, as is widely believed, but that he moved to Iredell County,
North Carolina, where he died after 1833, and, that it is he that provides
the link between Cowpasture and Iredell County Stewarts.

Traditional stories told concerning John Stewart of North Carolina are
amazingly similar to those told about the Stewart family of the Cowpasture
River in Bath County, Virginia. It seems that some of the details may have
been corrupted with time and retelling. The basic difference is that the
events as related in traditional stories told in Iredell County, actually
happened in Augusta (Bath) County. One story is that John Stewart and his
father, mother and a brother came from Pennsylvania to North Carolina and
settled in Iredell County before the French and Indian War. Actually,
John’s parents and four boys came from Pennsylvania and the family settled
in Augusta County; it is surmised that John came to Iredell County later.
Stories from both Iredell County and Augusta County are essentially the
same in describing the event that resulted in the murder of James (1)
Stuart and the capture of his son, except the Carolina version has it
happening near Fort Dobbs in North Carolina instead of Fort Dimwiddie on
the Cowpasture River in Augusta County, Virginia. Also according to these
stories, it was Cherokee Indians instead of Shawnees. There are no records
that show a James Stewart was killed or his son captured in or around Fort
Dobbs.

John (2) Stuart (Stewart) apparently came to Fourth Creek, Iredell County,
North Carolina, before 1770 from Augusta County, Virginia. He was present
on the Cowpasture River in 1757 when his father, James (1) Stuart was
killed and his brother James (2) was captured, but he managed to escape.
In his pension application, made August 28, 1832, John (2) Stewart stated
that he entered the military from Rowan (Iredell) County for three months,
during which time he helped fight the Tories. Then in 1881, he again was
drafted for three months to fight the Cherokees. He served another time
with Gen. Davidson and Capt Morrison and was in the engagement when Gen.
Davidson fell.

John (2) Stewart married Mary Potts, daughter of Moses Potts, March 12,
1770 and they had eleven children, namely: James Potts Stewart, who
married Margaret Witherspoon; Ralph Stewart, who married Rebecca Johnson;
William Stewart, who never married; Abner Stewart, who may have married
Jane Gracy; John Stewart, Jr., who married a Miss Hyler. None of the other
children of John (2) and Margaret Potts Stewart have been identified.
John Stewart is shown in the census records living on Fourth Creek,
Iredell County, in years 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820 and 1830. He died after
1832 and Mary Potts Stewart probably died after 1880.

Connie Browing wrote:

> Dear Buck,
>
> Looks like we are operating on the same frequency and that you have
> signed onto my latest suggestion that your John Stewart of Iredell and
> John Stuart, brother of Capt. Ralph Stewart, are one and the same. I
> might add that the move to NC was consistent with what was happening at
> the time. Many residents of the Cowpasture area moved to the highlands
> of NC to escape the Indians who were becoming more hostile in the 1860
> time frame.
>
> I am excited about the possibilities that exist for involving DNA
> comparisons in family history research. You and James Oliver Stewart
> are to be congratulated. I consider this a breakthrough in better
> understanding our Bath
> County ancestors.
>
> Thanks for the additional information and interesting reading concerning
> the southern campaign during the Revolution.
>
> Questions: When did Mary Potts Stewart die? Was John Stewart's pension
> granted? When? How much?
>
> By the way, one of James Oliver’s ancestral kin, Ralph Stewart,, was my
> first school teacher.
>
> STAN

This thread: