XIMENES-L ArchivesArchiver > XIMENES > 2006-08 > 1156042321
From: Dani Brown <>
Subject: List Update Info
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
Some of these lists have ALREADY migrated.
Below is some special information that still applies:
The new RootsWeb mailing list system (Mailman) has gone into effect and will be continuing for the next couple of weeks, staggered alphabetically according to the following schedule:
Thursday, August 17 - Lists A-C
Monday, August 21 - Lists D-F
Tuesday, August 22 - Lists G-I
Wednesday, August 23 - Lists J-L
Thursday, August 24 - Lists M-O
Monday, August 28 - Lists P-R
Tuesday, August 29 - Lists S-U
Wednesday, August 30 - Lists V-Z
You may check this link for any changes to the
While the "migration" of the lists to a new server should process uneventfully for list members, there are a few points that need to be covered:
1. AOL users (and possibly some other ISPs), please check your spam folders, and, if you find list mail held as spam, you will need to be sure to click the *THIS IS NOT SPAM* link to send the list mail to your current mailbox. This will "train" the system to understand that mail from this new server is not spam.
2. If you are subscribed to both L & D mail modes of this list, the new system is not set up to send both
to the same email address. If you want to be subscribed in both modes (many subscribe to both -- regular
mail mode to read and delete and digest to file and save), it will be necessary to use another email address
for your digest mail. It is my understanding that if you are subscribed to the list in both mail modes with
the same address, you will be dropped from the digest list roster, so if this happens to you, please
resubscribe with another address (Yahoo might be a good choice for an alternate email address). This will not effect those who subscribe in either of the mail modes exclusively.
3. If you want to post from more then one account, just send me the addresses of the extra accounts and I
will add them to the Accept List. This means you can *post* from any of those accounts, while *receiving*
the list mail from the one you originally used to subscribe. This feature is handy if you want to post from
work but would prefer not to receive RootsWeb mail at your place of business.
4. The list's email address will change from to just plain ole . However, both addresses will apparently work. SUBSCRIBE and UNSUBSCRIBE messages *must* contain the word "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the SUBJECT of the message.
5. In the event you receive an unsubscribe notice and believe it to be in error, please contact me privately
at and I'll correct the problem.
6. Digest subscribers may notice some changes to the list digests. New instructions will be added to the
digests -- please read them. In addition, the digest volume and issue number may be different (out of sequence) from what you had been receiving. If your digests arrive in a different format than you are used to and you would like it changed, contact me privately at the list admin address for this list.
7. If you use email headers to filter list mail to special folders, you will probably need to tweak your filters once the new system begins.
8. If you run into any unusual or confusing occurrences with mail from this list that could possibly be
related to the changeover, let me know.
Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com
|List Update Info by Dani Brown <>|