Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2006-05 > 1147111269

From: "Aaron Hill" <>
Subject: RE: Haplogroup Descriptions: I, I1a, I1a1, I1b
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 18:01:09 +0000

Haplogroup Descriptions (from Family Tree DNA, http://www.familytreedna.com/)

Haplogroup I dates to 23,000 years ago or longer. Lineages not in branches I1a, I1b or I1c are found distributed at low frequency throughout Europe.

I1a
The I1a lineage likely has its roots in northern France. Today it is found most frequently within Viking/Scandinavian populations in northwest Europe and has since spread down into Central and Eastern Europe, where it is found at low frequencies.

I1a1
The I1a lineage likely has its roots in Northern France. Today it is found most frequently within Viking/Scandinavian populations in northwest Europe and has since spread down into Central and Eastern Europe, where it is found at low frequencies.

I1b
The Balkan countries likely harbored this subgroup of I during the Last Glacial Maximum. Today, this branch is found distributed in the Balkans and Eastern Europe, and extends further east with Slavic-speaking populations.
Join the next generation of Hotmail and you could win the adventure of a lifetime
http://www.imagine-msn.com/minisites/sweepstakes/mail/register.aspx

This thread: