Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2007-08 > 1188508329

From: Victor Paul <>
Subject: [DNA-HG-I] How to read Ken's "Founder Haplotypes" spreadsheet?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:12:09 +1200

Hi all,

I'm newish here having been subscribed for only a week since receiving my "SNP
DEEP Haplogroup" back from family Tree DNA.

They say I am I1b.
Results : M170+ M258+ P19+ P37.2+ P38+ M161- M21- M223- M227- M253- M26- M307-
M72- P30-

So from my reading this suggests I am NOT II1b1b because of M26-.
Looking at the ISOGG tree I could be either I1b* or I1b1a but as FTDNA did not
test P41.2 I can't tell.

>From my earlier 37 marker test and looking at Ken's material I can see I am
NOT I1b1-Western as DYS 388=13 for me.

Turning to Ken's "Founder Haplotypes" spreadsheet dated 31 March 2007 I
don't have any exact match on one of the I1b1 rows. I assume I should not
expect to? I fail the exact match test at column 3 as I am 385b=17 .

If I interpret the chart as 'yellow entries must match' then I might be
I1b1*-Isles2 - except my 37 marker test does not cover DYS 463!

I guess there is some guide to how to read the chart I have not stumbled over
- if someone would point me at that I'd appreciate it.

My paternal ancestry is Irish, my g-grandfather changed his surname from
DRISCOLL to PAUL in London (where he was born). From the 1851 UK census, his
father was 'born in Ireland'. Driscoll is of course strongly associated with
County Cork in the south of Ireland.
I note that Driscoll and spelling variants are over-represented in results
from the 'match' functions in FTDNA and Y-Search.

Another question I'm interested in is what are the theories on how so many
people from the I1b Haplogroup made it to the UK?
>From my reading (Oppenheimer's book and the Rootsi et al paper he quotes) we
never made it out of the Balkans and Eastern Europe.
But when I look at the results from Y-Search etc it seems we are
overrepresented in the UK.
Maybe we are just more genetically inclined to contribute to DNA databases? :)

I am 61687 in FTDNA and FYSJA in Y-Search.

Cheers,
Victor Paul,
New Zealand
Victor Paul, Loburn, NZ. email: