Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2007-11 > 1194278669

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [DNA-HG-I] Dividing I1b1-Dinaric
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:04:29 -0700

Some new clades emerge from a database of extended haplotypes like gangbusters, while others slowly take form out of a San Juan Islands fog bank with the radar not working. Dividing I1b1-Dinaric (P37+) is like the latter. Some time ago I mentioned that this haplogroup had two parts based on DYS448 being 19 or 20, with the former perhaps being dominant south of the Danube and the latter north of the Danube. I can't say this geographical division is getting stronger with additional data, but other differences are.

I1b1-Dinaric with 19 at DYS448 has a DYS449 distribution with mean less than 30 repeats
I1b1-Dinaric with 20 at DYS448 has a DYS 449 distribution with mean greater than 32 repeats

How's that for thin ice --- a clade taking form based on such a fast mutator? But I1b1-Dinaric is very young (a mystery in itself), so this changes the rules a little bit.

If we look at all the markers it seems evident that I1b1-Dinaric with 20 at DYS448 has more random mutations, indicating that this segment of the haplogroup is older than the part with DYS448 = 19.

I believe that one of the more interesting migratory stories in Europe will emerge when we better understand I1b1-Dinaric.

Ken

This thread: