Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2007-12 > 1197332086

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [DNA-HG-I] Just 8 Male Ancestors 16,000 Years Ago
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:14:46 -0700

A paper was quoted today on the list saying that European ancestry was particularly subject to past bottlenecks and most all Europeans can be traced to 50 males of some time period ago. Actually, I think all of modern man's time in Europe prior to the final breakup of the last glacial maximum could be considered something like a continuous bottlneck --- in the sense that the vast majority of the male lines of that era went extinct. Looking at my data from y haplogroup I, I think I'd be willing to make an argument for the following scenario:

Almost every male today of European ancestry and of y haplogroup I (many tens of millions) is a descendant of one of 8 males who lived 16,000 years ago. "Almost every" in the previous sentence means over 99 percent.

I think the quoted paper may have been talking autosomal ancestors, but I can't remember for sure.

Ken

This thread: