Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2007-12 > 1198469597

From: Joseph Rondinella <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Origins of the British
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:13:17 +0000

However there seem to be non trivial percentages of I1b1b (M26+) in the really 'old' populations such as the Basque region. I think it is the region of 6-8% if I am not mistaken.

> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:06:13 -0800> From: > To: > Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Origins of the British> > John, > Iberia in general has one of the lowest percentages of haplogroup I in Europe. What appears to have happened, that archaeology backs up, is that there were migrations to modern day Frisia and England due directly to the large grasses that covered the area after the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM). Jared Diamond descibes these grasses as the only advantage in Europe after the LGM. Oppenheimer will descibe the ancient genetic affinity of this area. > > Gary> Mexico DNA Project Admin.> old I1c> > John Weaver <> wrote:> Dear List Members,> > I am reading Stephen Oppenheimer's Origins of the British, in which he claims that I1a weathered the LGM in the Balkans. The prevailing theory that most of the members of our list seem to subscribe to is that our haplogroup "wintered" in the Iberian refuge. Am I wro!
ng about that? If not, then how should we react to Oppenheimer's opinion? I'd like to keep an open mind, but (like many people), once I accept one way of looking at things, it is hard for me to accept alternative points of view. I would be interested in your opinions.> > Thanks!> > John Weaver> Kit Number: N42207> ySearch code: NPCPJ> yDNA: I1a-AS> mtDNA: V> > > > -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message> > > -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

This thread: