Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2008-04 > 1209489393

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] M423 / P37 Report
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:16:33 -0600

Here's a quick update on results so far for M423, new SNP from Ethnoancestry downstream of P37.

P37+ Western is consistently negative, now from two labs
P37+ Dinaric is consistently positive, now from two labs
P37+ Isles shows both positive and negative, but one Isles clade is an outlier. So I look forward to more results from Isles

M423 has proven a real winner in dividing up P37+ into multiple haplogroups, and correcting all those journal papers and lab narratives which put P37+ solely as a "Balkan haplogroup". But numerically, P37+M423+ Dinaric still rules.

The original paper reporting M423+ throughout Eastern Europe was a collaboration of Underhill at Stanford and some researchers at SMGF in Salt Lake City. This spring Genetree in Salt Lake City measured some initial P37 Western folks sent to them from our list community and found the first ancestral P37 Westerns.

I especially urge P37 Isles folks to test DYS423 at Ethnoancestry. This Isles branch of P37 appears very old, and very broken up into multiple clades, yet almost completely confined to British Isles and especially Ireland. It would be funny if somehow M423 occured "in the middle" of Isles, although at the moment we would have to lean toward Isles being derived for M423.

Ken

This thread: