Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2008-07 > 1216664684

From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] testing lab services
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:24:44 -0400

The genetic testing labs are just that: genetic testing labs. They are
providing a genetic service to genealogists. It's largely up to the genealogist
to make use of the results.

A mailing list devoted to haplogroup research (based on SNP testing) is not
likely to be much help to the genealogist trying to understand their STR test
results as an aid to their genealogical research (e.g., proving pedigrees and
breaking down brick walls). The person who should be helping you here is the
administrator of your surname project. They're the one who should best
understand what your results mean.

If you want the testing labs to thoroughly interpret your results and solve your
genealogical problems for you, you can watch the cost of testing skyrocket as
they add professional genealogists to their staff to provide that service, too.
I don't think anyone wants the cost of testing to increase, and the solution has
been to enlist the aid of literally thousands of volunteers, as project admins
and list admins.

The purpose of the newbie lists is to help you get to the point where you do
understand what's going on. And there are always the message boards at FTDNA:
http://forums.familytreedna.com/
which is the venue they have provided for clients (and the general public) to
ask questions.

By joining one of the haplogroup mailing lists (or the GENEALOGY-DNA mailing
list), you have entered the realm where experienced researchers are discussing
advanced topics, mostly related to deep ancestry, not genealogy. It's an
interesting place to lurk and learn, but unless you have already taught yourself
the basics, you aren't going to understand much of it. And if you're looking
for help understanding how your STR test results can be applied to your
genealogy, these lists are really not the place, at all.

Determining your haplogroup subclade is an interesting thing to know about
oneself, but knowing it is not going to help you with your genealogy.

Diana

This thread: