Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2008-09 > 1221139480

From: Elizabeth Harris <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I2a-Western in UK
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:24:40 -0400

>I'm new to this field, so I hope I'm making sense.
>
>Can anyone point me to data on the proportion of the UK population
>who are of haplotype I21a-Western and/or info. on the geographic
>distribution of this haplotype within the UK?

In looking for the same type of information, I found the following
link to a discussion of this haplotype (former Western I1b) for a
JOHNSON family.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hjohnson/haplogroup.i1b.todds.report.html

Quoting from this page,

> Information obtained from Ysearch provides a pattern that is even
>clearer. Nordtvedt describes a concentration of I1b1 outlined by
>Northampton, Nottingham, Lancashire and Worcester. A system was also
>devised by this writer to refine the area of concentration. An
>attempt was made to identify families of English extraction who
>would appear to be classified as I1b1-West. This search was
>restricted to English families who are no more than three genetic
>mutations away from the Johnson family. Then, those surnames were
>correlated to specific regions of England where the surnames are
>found most frequently. Not surprisingly, the names do coincide with
>the area described by Nordtvedt. However, these families also appear
>to share a dense concentration along the border with Wales in
>Shropshire, extending East through Leicester.
>
> Family names used in this correlational study included
>Sharp, Stanley, Lucas, Terry, Overstreet, Ashley, Parker, Holder,
>Slaton, Buckley, Glover, Mills and Johnson among others. As with the
>Johnson family, some of these surnames may have originated in
>multiple places independently. However, others are relatively
>confined to a small geographical area in England. The region of
>England from Shropshire to Leicestershire reveals a marked
>concentration of almost all of the surnames in question. This
>observation is especially useful in that it is believed that each of
>these families shares a common male lineage at a time before
>surnames were adopted in England. Moreover, a study of the various
>mutations present in each of these families can reveal which are
>most closely related to the others.
>
> Of particular interest to Johnson family researchers is
>the family of Edenfield. This family shares a match of 24 out of 25
>genetic markers. Moreover, the Edenfield surname is rather uncommon
>in England. Although its greatest concentration is now found around
>Halifax in Yorkshire, the family took its name from the village of
>Edenfield in Lancashire. We can be sure of this as there is only one
>village of this name in all of England. Edenfield is situated about
>four miles east of Bolton and Blackburn. As surnames were frequently
>adopted from village names during the 12th and 13th centuries, this
>gives us an approximate location of where the Johnson family may
>have originated during this time period as well. Moreover, it fits
>with the genetic distribution of haplogroup I1b1-West that Ken
>Nordtvedt observed in his studies of English pedigrees.

The HOLDER data mentioned in this study are my family. Our John
Holder was born in London in 1694 and immigrated to America with his
mother before 1710. We know nothing about his father's origins, so
we can't pinpoint his ancestors to this part of England yet. Our
data, if you want to compare, are at

http://www.holderdna.com/groupB.html

--
Elizabeth Harris