Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2008-09 > 1221862855

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] Is Northern I-M26 Older?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:20:55 -0600

I read today that the I-M26 (Sardinian) found in the Pyrenees would be about 4000 back to its MRCA if conventional mutation rates were used --- this according to a new paper with data.

I found all I-M26, dominated by more northerly haplotypes from British Isles and continent, about 7500 years back to their MRCA.

Those especially studying this haplogroup might try to separate their database between Mediterranean and northern Europe populations, and either confirm or refute the possibility that the I-M26 of the north is particularly old. It could be that incursion into the Pyrenees from elsewhere in the Iberian peninsula was just a "recent" expansion for that ancient haplogroup.

Ken

This thread: