Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2008-12 > 1228501950

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] Fw: I2* Geography
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:32:30 -0700

Ancient I2*

I2* appears to be the oldest type of y haplogroup I we see in the databases. I summarized the geography of haplotype origins for the I2* in my collection, so I thought I'd share what was found with others. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there are some new snps found in or near the I2* region of the I Tree. I urge members of this haplogroup to test for them. I2* is extremely diverse in a variance sense of its haplotypes; one or both of these new snps could divide I2* and help us understand how it spread in Europe.

At Ethnoancestry: S150 and S153
At FTDNA: L35 and L37

I2* is M253-, P37.2-, M223-, S23-

Out of 85 haplotypes I have for I2* there are

12 German (some of these Jewish)
1 Swiss
1 Netherlands
12 Italian (including Sicily and Sardinia)
1 Belgium
1 Bulgaria
3 Polish
2 Greek
1 French
4 Spain
1 Slovak
1 Belarus
1 Georgian
1 Armenian
1 Turk

and rest British Isles or possibly German surnames
Note: not one Scandinavian

Ken

This thread: