Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-01 > 1231529477

From: "Bernie Cullen" <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Haplogroup I Information Wanted
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:31:17 -0800

There are lots of hoops but it is better than FTDNA in one way:
everyone's results are findable unless they have opted out (I think).

To search ancestry:
set up an account for free, and add your 43 marker haplotype (I used
mine from SMGF)
you can search for Y-DNA matches, or by surname

for Y-DNA matches, they return a maximum of 250 matches?, but for my
I-M26 "Sardinian" haplohype, they only returned 50, most of which were
indeed likely I-M6.

for surname matches, you can by as little as 1 letter, and they return
all names containing that letter.

You can view all 250 results in a grid, markers listed in numerical
order, and there probably would be some way of manually transferring
the data to an excel file.

The results from Ancestry have a very simple, old style haplogroup
label (like I1b for Sardinian). Results that have been manually
entered from tests at other labs have an asterisk and probably should
be ignored since they usually came from FTDNA or SMGF and might have
conversion errors.

Unfortunately they don't display all the marker values--the ones that
are the same as your own are given a dot, but the ones that differ
give the actual marker value for the other person.

You can contact the people for free, but you don't get to see their email.

There are many other details but this gives you the idea. I will
email you some some screen shots of the results grid.

Bernie