Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-01 > 1232559919

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] Bothniacks!! and Bosniacks! New haplogroup I SNP Available
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:45:19 -0700

The snp rs9786274 which was found by comparing 23andMe outputs does two things of interest in haplogroup I

1. It separates clades M423+ Dinaric from M423+ Isles

2. It probably isolates I1-Bothnian from I1-Norse (L22)

The latter should turn on the Finns: probably at least half of all I1 in Finland is I1-Bothnian.

Ethnoancestry is now offering this snp and calls it S163

This is the first of a new breed of snps which is nevertheless phylogenetically useful. It mutates substantially faster than other previously described ysnps, so it tags a few other places in the overall y tree by mutating.

Being particularly interested in the spread of I1 into Scandinavia, it should be interesting to see if S163+ takes in any more of L22+ besides the Bothnian clade (or if it takes in all of the Bothnian clade or splits it)?

Ken

This thread: