Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-04 > 1239384624

From: "Adam" <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I1* Walk Through the Y Project
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:30:24 -0700
References: <49DE837C.1060300@cpcinternet.com><BLU146-W35E2BCC911D71102757402B8830@phx.gbl><20090409193607.fbwzdug9skksgosw@webmail.utexas.edu><BLU146-W3527D742432DFC48D7C4E4B8800@phx.gbl><4CFBCFC1-DACC-4AC5-8DA8-DEDC060D863D@jcoxdesign.com><014501c9b9f0$2fd68f90$6400a8c0@Ken1><691EA3D1-836A-4EEB-B2E3-F5AA927A8060@jcoxdesign.com><000801c9b9f4$9cf80af0$6400a8c0@Ken1>
In-Reply-To: <000801c9b9f4$9cf80af0$6400a8c0@Ken1>

Any news on a project manager for I2 fund raising? I can't completely self
fund but will contribute quite a bit and am ready to send in the DNA if we
can get the funding going.

Adam
I2b1-cont1a
M223+

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Ken Nordtvedt
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I1* Walk Through the Y Project

The "12s"? Ah.... the "I2s..." That's "Eye-Twos"

I1 is right now pretty cleanly divided into I1-AS and I1-N... by the L22
snp. So I can't see investing lots of loot and time in reinventing that
wheel. I1-AS is the largest, by far, block of haplotypes with no snp to
help us divide the clades and work out how they evolved through time.

By any objective standard, new snps which would robustly divide I1-AS would
be of interest to a great number of people.

But I1-AS is only 4000 years old. We don't want to just discover new snps
prior to then; we already have 25 phylogenetically equivalent snps from that

era defining I1. Finding a snp in I1-AS which has occured more recently
than 4000 years ago and robustly divides I1-AS is a delicate matter. If it
happens too late it will be private like and not affect many people.
Incidently, self funded people doing the search may not care too much if
they find a private like snp; it could still be of interest to their more
recent y line.

Ken

From: "Ann Hamilton" <>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I1* Walk Through the Y Project

Thank you for that clarification Ken.

I knew the "12s" were of interest to you. But I wasn't sure about who
in I1*.

We are so big that some times I'm not sure you are speaking about ASs,
for example, because you have singled them out as a group of interest
or because you are addressing an AS person.

Thanks again.

Ann
N71034

On Apr 10, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Ken Nordtvedt wrote:

> That's a tricky question in my view. But individuals who fund
> themselves
> only have to deal with their own goals and circumstances and risk
> taking
> tolerances.
> Yesterday I ranked the I2/I2a2 project, then the I2b1 project, and
> then a I1
> project in diminishing order of probability of finding a new snp.
> This is
> chiefly due to the relative time depth of the corresponding
> phylogenetic
> trees for each sector of the overall Y tree. But an I1-AS snp would
> probably impact the most people if found.
> This I1 search has begun driven by self-funding individuals with a
> keen
> desire to find something. Whether it is being done optimally from
> among the
> clades seems academic now. But hopefully they won't be comparing
> dna donors
> from the same clades within I1-AS.
> Ken
> From: "Ann Hamilton" <>
> Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:57 AM
> Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I1* Walk Through the Y Project
> Excuse me if I have missed this previously...
> Whom among we I1*s would one consider a good candidate for the "Walk
> Through the Y" testing? Anglo-Saxons, Missing Links, Nordics, etc. or
> specific individuals having interesting results?
> Cheers,
> Ann
> N71034
> On Apr 10, 2009, at 2:04 AM, Aaron Hill wrote:
>> Sure thing. Thanks, Obed. Anyone who wants to donate may use the I1
>> Project. Please put "I1 Walk Through the Y Project" when you donate
>> and send an email to . We will apply this money
>> to more I1 research as donors come forward.
>> Aaron J. Hill
>>> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:36:07 -0500
>>> From:
>>> To:
>>> Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Do we have an I1* Walk Through the Y Project
>>> set up yet?
>>>
>>> Aaron and Brent,
>>>
>>> I haven't had time yet to send the application to Thomas Krahn, but
>>> if
>>> he approves it I will be happy to self-fund my test, so Brent can
>>> contribute to the next I* "Walk" if he wants to. Thank you very much
>>> for the offer, though. I will let you know if Thomas approves my
>>> test.
>>>
>>> Obed
>> _________________________________________________________________
>> Rediscover HotmailR: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.
rage1_042009
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
>> the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
> the body of the message

-------------------------------