Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-04 > 1240614072

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] I2b1* Walk the Y Search
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:01:12 -0600

The fund for supporting a comparison of a M223+ I2b1* Continental with a M223+ I2b1* Roots dna donor in a search for a new snp has passed the 50 percent funded level. We need more contributions from the Roots clade to put it over the top ($1500 total)

See Scenario-M223 at http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net which shows the assumed branch line connecting these two donors and on which a discovered ysnp would fall. 100,000 nucleotide sites on the y chromosome will be measured from donors' dna, and then we compare them for differences.

There are four outcomes to the search:

1) no new ysnp is found
2) a ysnp which separates all of Continental from all of Roots is found
3) a ysnp within Continental is found, separating Continental into two parts
4) a ysnp within Roots is found, separating Roots into two parts

4) probably has a slightly higher probability than 3) as Roots is older than I2b1* Continental

A ysnp from outcome 2) could also have interesting implications for M284+ or P78+ subhaplogroups, as well as the basic achievement of giving separate haplogroup status to Continental-1&2 and Roots.

So I2b1* M223+ Roots folks --- help put the fund over.

Jane Gilbert who now administers the M223 project administers this fund, though the fund is kept at FTDNA.

Here are her instructions for electronically making a contribution

> - Go to the following link:
>
> http://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx
>
> - In the first pick-list, select the letter "I"
>
> - In the second pick-list, select "I2b"
>
> - Enter your donation amount, select the donation type, and enter your name
> or whoever's name you'd like to show as the donor.
>
> - You can leave the note section blank unless you have a more specific
> purpose for the donation than just the I2b1/M223 Walk on the Y project.
>
> - Proceed to the payment section

Or as I did, you can send check to FTDNA and identify it as contribution for I2b1* M223 walk the y fund.

Ken

This thread: