Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-06 > 1245073860

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] 3 New I2a1 SNPs
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:51:00 -0600

The I2a1 M26+ "Sardinian" haplogroup just got three SNPs from a walk the y search over 118,000 nucelotide sites.

FTDNA has named them L158, L159, L160

I urge members of this clade --- I2a1 --- to test for these snps at FTDNA advanced lab. Price should be the normal snp price in their catalog, I believe.

That will enable us to find out for each of these snps whether they are: A) phylogenetically equivalent to M26, B) robustly divide I2a1 into sub-haplogroups, or C) are private-like and derived only for a recent family group? The odder your I2a1 haplotype the better. I2a1 haplotypes are the ones which normally have that strangely low 11 at YCAIIa and most often the 12-12 at DYS385.

I2a1 is an old clade and broken up into a good number of mini-clades based on STR haplotype motifs. But it has no strong clade divisions based on STRs. It's geography ranges from its stronghold in the western Mediterranean, up through France, and into northwest Europe and British Isles. It is quite rare in Scandinavia. Since the person's dna of the discovery of these three snps was from northern Europe background, Iberian, Italian, or French members of this clade are especially urged to test for these snps.
One of the goals of more snps for I2a1 M26+ is to figure out when and how often I2a1 folks moved north along the Atlantic seaboard from the western Mediterranean after the LGM.

I2a1 branch line left the rest of the y tree 20,000 years ago. So it was a favorable place to search for new snps (chances of success are proportional to branch length of tree being searched over). At the other extreme, some searches are going on in haplogroup I1. This haplogroup's MRCA is only abourt 4000 years old. So expectations in those I1 searches should be restrained by comparison.

Ken

This thread: