Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-06 > 1245183513

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] Kittler Tests for I2a1 M26+ "Sardinian"
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:18:33 -0600

Today someone in I2a1 M26+ reported his Kittler results to me. When putting these results into my database I noticed he was the first I2a1 M26+ person to report a Kittler test. What delinquency! (Half kidding!) I2a1 is normally 12-12 at DYS385. But because it is an old clade there are a decent number of DYs385 = 12-13 or 11-12, etc. haplotypes in the clade. And the clade is a difficult one to further subdivide; it shows no strong divisions based on STRs. A good number of Kittler tests by those whose DYS385 have deviated from the 12-12 would sure help in understanding the I2a1 haplotype population.

When we see a normally reported DYS385 = 12-13, for example, we don't know whether the copy A of DYs385 mutated from 12 to 13, or the copy B of DYs385 mutated from 12 to 13. Those are two different populations with a two step difference. A Kittler test tells us whether the mutation came from site A or site B.

So if you are in I2a1 and planning on ordering the three new I2a1 snps, L158, L159, L160, from FTDNA; and you have differing 385a and 385b values, please add a Kittler test for DYS385 to your order. It is quite inexpensive and adds much knowledge to the I2a1 clade development after its founder.

If you have not had the M26 test, you can tell you are I2a1 by the super rare LOW 11 repeats at YCAIIa

Ken

This thread: