Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-07 > 1247082634

From: Bernie Cullen <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] I2a1-F in Ireland indicates Norman/Continental origin?
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 12:50:34 -0700

Ken Nordtvedt identified a branch of I2a1 (M26+, "Sardinian") called
I2a1-F (for "France") that he says is especially common in France.

In the I2a project at Ancestry we have 3 I2a1-F members, but they are
all from western Irish origins: a Fleming and two Browns not known to
be related. There are also multiple I2a1-F Browne/Browns at
FTDNA/ysearch with Irish origins, at least one believes his ancestral
surname to be "le Brun".

In Ireland, Fleming is supposed to mean "someone from Flanders", now
part of Belgium and northern France. Browne is supposed to be from the
English/Norman le Brun (see below).

So, no problem, these Irish I2a1-F are really French! A good story anyway.

Bernie
>From http://www.ireland.c­om/ancestor

Brown Very numerous: all provinces. (Irish Gaelic form:. de Brún).
Early Anglo-Normans and name of a number of notable families. One of
the "tribes of Galway".

Fleming Very numerous: S E Leinster, N Munster, Ulster etc. (Irish
Gaelic form: Pléamonn). People from Flanders who came in the aftermath
of the Norman Invasion, having been previously settled in Wales.

This thread: