Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-07 > 1248039120

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] I2a1 M26+ have snps --- interesting snps
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:32:00 -0600

Haplotypes L158, L159, L160 are downstream of M26+ in the I2a1 haplogroup.

This is the old haplogroup found strongly in Sardinia, robustly in Iberia, decently in Italy, and then on up France and into the British Isles.

Are you I2a1? If you have 11 at DYS464a and/or 12-12 at DYS385 (or close to these values) you probably are.

Three new snps were found for this haplogroup. You are encouraged to purchase them from FTDNA advanced orders as individual snps.

Why? Because yesterday someone reported in positive for L159 but negative for L160. This suggests division of I2a1 will occur with the accumulation of tests by diverse looking haplotypes of I2a1. I2a1 up until now showed a good number of haplotype clusters which may or may not have risen to the level of what we would call clades. But the age of the haplogroup and the clustering seen suggests these three snps might elevate some of these divisions to haplogroup status. That would help us figure out how I2a1 spread after the last glacial maximum.

Most likely scenario is that I2a1 sometime after the LGM spread north from Iberia along the Atlantic seaboard and right on into the British Isles. It pretty much missed Scandinavia. This scenario needs fleshing out, and more snp information on these three new snps should help.

Ken

This thread: