Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-08 > 1250355503

From: Bernie Cullen <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] what are L160 results telling us?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:58:23 -0700

To summarize what's known so far:

L160 was found in a Walk on the Y on a M26+ (I2a1 "Sardinian") person
with roots in England.
8 people have been found L160+, with ancestors from England (3),
Wales, Germany, the Azores, and likely Spain (2).
4 people have been found L160-, with ancestors from France (Normandy),
England, Ireland and Colombia (likely Spanish origin).
L160 was recently found to be upstream of M161 when we received a
L160+ results for the only M161+ person in our project, who has Puerto
Rican ancestry (likely Spanish origin). For several years, M161 has
been the only known SNP below M26 but no one else at FTDNA is known to
be M161+.

Some well defined clades seem to be predictable: M26-B and M26-C seem
to be L160+, and M26-France has been L160-. But the largest
classification, M26-A, is unpredictable.

In my opinion, this is great news. L160 is confirming some of what we
knew from STR patterns, but it is also going further, separating
indistinguishable haplotypes. M26-A has seemed a bit of a catch-all to
me. So far, the only "classic" M26-A who matches all of Ken's key
modal values is the original WTY participant who was L160+ of course,
and the 4 M26-A who weren't perfect fits with the modal (lacking DYS
442=13 and/or having other unusual features) have tested both L160+
and L160-.

There are several more tests on order, and really every M26+ should
test L160 because results can't be predicted in most cases.

But I think we can start discussing what the results are telling us
about the history of M26+. Let me know if you have any additions,
corrections, or questions about this summary.

Bernie

This thread: