Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2009-11 > 1257161544

From: "Michael Keaveney" <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Using DNA to solve a problem
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:32:24 +0000

Hello Don,

I didn't mean to sound authoritative and had intended to add a smilie. I just caught the reference on another forum and thought it was appropriate to bring it to your attention. The M222+ group spend a lot of time discussing Irish and Scottish surnames and genealogies.

The account is given in a Scottish McDonald manuscript. Why would they make this up?

On checking further I see that there is a River Roe which drains in Lough Foyle, not Lough Swilly, in Co. Derry.

The cited article also mentions the Roses of Kilravoxk as being from the same area in Derry. It is not indicated that the Monroes and the Roses are related but increased DNA testing could lead to some unravelling of these types of historical accounts eventually.

If you have not done so already I suggest that you join Bill Morrow's I2a Project at Ftdna? : http://www.familytreedna.com/public/I2aHapGroup/default.aspx?section=yresults

Michael (I2a2-Isles-C2)

>>> "Don Munro" <> 02/11/2009 00:58 >>>
Thank you Michael,

Your story of the Munro origins is similar to one I have heard before but
now that I know where it came from I can check it out.

You seem quite definite about my own origins, so maybe I am descended from
one of those 140 who came to Scotland with the Irish chieftain's daughter!
Can you tell me what makes you think my origins are in Derry?

Regards, Don