Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2010-02 > 1266860967

From: Bernie Cullen <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Family Finder question
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:49:27 -0700

Someone else can give a technical description of the chip used, number of
SNPs tested, etc, but here are my impressions after comparing my own 23andMe
results to another person's FTDNA Family Finder results (this will mostly be
about Family Finder).

--Family Finder doesn't use the X or Y chromosome (or mtDNA), just the 22
autosomal pairs. It doesn't give any raw data about your individual SNP
results, or tell you exactly where your matching segments with another
person start and end.
--you can display the segments where you match with other people on a
chromosome browser, just like in 23andMe
--there is also a table displaying the name of your matches, the predicted
relationship, the range of possible relationships, the total length of
shared DNA segments in centiMorgans, the number of shared segments, and
then a "known genealogy" where you and your match can both list your known
relationship, and where your matches can list their ancestral surnames

my comments:
--the threshold for reporting matches is higher in Family Finder, they only
report "within 5 generations", but the individual segments of matching DNA
shown in the chromsome browser can be smaller in Family Finder--as small as
1 centiMorgan. But, I think even if some of these small segments aren't
meaningful for recently genealogy, I think everyone reported by Family
Finder will have at least one 5+ cM segment that is more meaningful (if you
have only small I cM matching segments with someone, you wouldn't be
considered a close match and so this match would never get reported).

--the big advantage of FTDNA's family Finder is that all of your matches'
names are listed, and they probably have a high interest in genealogy and
comparing information. At 23andMe you have a chance of finding a relative
who is not interested in genealogy--which can be good to find someone you
wouldn't be able to find at FTDNA or in surname research mailing lists
etc.--but most of your matches at 23andMe won't even respond to your
messages asking to make a connection.

--I don't see any way that Family Finder could be used to learn new things
about the origins of haplogroup I, ages of its various clades, new SNPs etc.
And in most cases it won't tell people anything new about their deep
ancestry--if you already know you are I2b1 and mtDNA H and know you have
Irish, German, and English ancestry, I don't see how family Finder could
help you learn more about this in a general way--you might find specific new
ancestors that tell you something though.

Bernie

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Gregory Francis
<>wrote:

> Is this exactly the same thing that's being done by 23andme? If not, how
> are the tests different, as far as you know?

This thread: