Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2010-05 > 1274373838

From: Wilfred Husted <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] I2a1 in the UK
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:43:58 -0600

Hello List,

Sandra wrote:

"As a holder of the I2a1 profile which originated in the Basque region of the
Iberian Peninsula, my ancestors trace back to 1405 in Buckinghamshire,
England.
I see that one theory is that this group may well have spread up the Western
Seaboard of Europe to England many thousands of years ago.
One thing I have never seen on this mailing list is any discussion about the
Basque Legion of the Roman Army which was stationed at Hadrian's Wall in
northern England. Because of the fairly low instance of this sub-clade in
England, is it possible that it was the Basque Legion that brought it to the
British Isles?"

At one time, before I got into the Y-DNA game, I thought that we were descended from the Danes, this being the family tradition. However, when I received my 67-marker results, out the window went our claim to fame as descendants of Danish Vikings. Then along came Ken Nordtvedt with his extremely interesting and productive research into the I Haplogroup. Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to find out how in thunder ancestors from Iberia obtained a Danish surname.

I am also of the I2a1b tribe with my earliest known ancestor born about 1595 in Dorset, UK. Ken Nordtvedt says that I2a1 may be one of the oldest groups in the British Isles and dates it at about 6,000 years. I suspect that the clade(?) has been in the British Isles for at least 10,000 years, but my evidence is circumstantial. Anyway, my surname is Husted, a probable Danish surname. The Danes were in the British Isles by at least 800 and eventually occupied a large area of the UK including the southern counties. Many Danes remained in the UK becoming landowners. I suspect that my earlier ancestors were native Britons who obtained their surname from a Danish employer or master sometime in the 14th-15th centuries. There are maps with variants of the Husted name in the UK dating to at least the 1200s.

I don't know if the Basques carry a strong I2a1 component, but I2a1 is scattered along the northern Mediterranean coastal area from Italy westward to Iberia and southwestern France. It is not found east of the Adriatic Sea and would appear to have originated in the Italian area from a source in the Balkan territory. Apparently it began to move northward soon after the end of the last glacial maximum 10,500 or more years ago. Doggerland was above water until around 8,000 years ago, and I suspect that some I2a1 folks crossed over into the British Isles, including Ireland and Scotland, via Doggerland before it was inundated by rising level. There are Mesolithic archaeolgical sites on Doggerland, and sites Mesolithic sites in the British Isles date to at least 10,500 years ago. This is my circumstantial evidence for the presence of I2a1 in the British Isles. I would be most interested in others' thoughts about this idea, both positive and negative. We live and learn.

Wil Husted