Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2010-06 > 1276355909

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] Age of I2a1 n' stuff
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:18:29 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilfred Husted" <>

> Ken, I just downloaded and printed your latest Rescaled Haplogroup I Tree.
> The arrowhead for I2a1 is at approximately 9,000-8,500 years ago. In one
> of our recent private mailings you told me:
>
> "I don't think I have tmrcas for various clades of I2a1 as old as 9000
> years. I thought they were more like 6000 years?
>

> I do seem to have a pretty old split between L160+ and L160- population.
> I'll look at that again."
>
> Have you had a chance to look at the L160+ - L160- again?
>
> As we've talked about before, on the basis of circumstantial evidence, I
> suspect that I2a1 is considerably older than 6,000 years. Of course, I
> can't prove it but consider it well worth investigating.

[[I did the L160- clade TMRCA again this now. I get 6400 years. I think
what happened is that I did not correct some exceptional STR values that
need special handling. There are a few nulls at DYS425. They must be
handled specially. Also the normal 11-21 of I2a1 sometimes pops to 11-11 or
21-21, either in reality or because lab technicians failed to see the second
bump very far from the other, or the instrument calibration amplification is
so repeat length sensitive that peaks at 11 and at 21 look very different
from each other and one can be overlooked. So such cases in YCA have to be
treated with special care. I did that this morning and get 6400 years for
L160- haplogroup. Ken ]]

This thread: