Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2010-07 > 1278440462

From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [yDNAhgI] I2a2 Dinaric is a hard nut
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:21:02 -0600

Those of you following the details of I2a2a-Dinaric haplogroup, mainly found in Eastern Europe, know how difficult it has been to find division into subclade in this very young, apparently rapidly expanded clade. The main division has been the DYS448 = 19 versus 20 division, with the former having lower values at DYS449 and the latter having higher values at DYS449.

DYS635 also offers some supporting evidence that DYS448 = 19 and 20 parted ways early in the history of I2a2a-Dinaric. Here are my counts of the DYS635 repeat values for the two divisions:

For DYS448 = 19
635 = 22 --- (17)
635 = 23 --- (23)
635 = 24 --- (5)

For DYS448 = 20
635 = 22 --- (8)
635 = 23 --- (50)
635 = 24 --- (21)

These kinds of weak shifts in STR distributions will increasingly be the main kinds of evidence we can uncover concerning the young, rapidly expanded clades of ydna.

This thread: