Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2011-01 > 1294878322

From: Terry <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I1 AS9b Geographic Origins Results
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:25:22 +1100

Roy,
I should have commented on your final paragraph:

The 2 kits for Finland (one of them is mine) have a value of 14 at
DYS557 and as such do not fit into the framework of the model. For
this experiment I used 15 in place of the 14 – 15 being the value of
about 65% of AS9b at this marker. Still, the supporting genealogy for
the ancestors of these 2 individuals is Hailuoto and Haukipudas,
Finland going back well over 300 years. I would have expected them to
fall into either BA* or BBA.

My guess is that the I1 people in Finland arrived via two separate routes.

One route is the western one via Norway and Sweden and the other is via the
eastern route up through the Baltic.

The small number of AAA people in Finland could have arrived via either
route. But the small number of BBA people in Finland might have got there
via the western route through Norway and Sweden. For the more common BA*
people in Finland, they might either be descendants of someone who acquired
the appropriate mutation in Finland, or they arrived in Finland from the
western route via Norway and Sweden. This is all speculation - experts in
the historic migration may know better.

Any of these scenarios would have happened a long time ago. So your Finnish
ancestors from 300 years ago might be the advance members of your clan that
came from a location further south - so your local clan density would be
lower in Finland, as the main bunch stayed on elsewhere. Again this is
just speculation - many things are possible.

Terry