Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I-L Archives

Archiver > Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I > 2011-01 > 1295311505

From: Aaron Casillas <>
Subject: Re: [yDNAhgI] I1 in Spain (was: I1 AS9b Geographic Origins Results)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:45:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi Terry

Thank you very much!

The Reconquest of Spain lasted nearly 700 years!  Well after the classical
Viking age and Christianization of Scandanavia.  "Many kings did not have enough
soldiers available" thus the influx of people from "elsewhere in Europe."

From wiki (independant of my hypothesis)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista

"Even before the Crusades, however, soldiers from elsewhere in Europe had been
traveling to Iberia to participate in the Reconquista as an act of Christian
penitence"

"Typically armour was made of leather, with iron scales; full coats of chain
mail were extremely rare and horse barding completely unknown. Head protections
consisted of a round helmet with nose protector (influenced by the designs used
by Vikings who attacked during the 8th and 9th centuries) and a chain mail head
piece"

"Finally, mercenaries were an important factor, as many kings did not have
enough soldiers available. Norsemen, Flemish spearmen, Frankish knights, Moorish
mounted archers and Berber light cavalry were the main types of mercenary
available and used in the conflict."

"Norsemen/Flemish/Frankish"

It's not difficult to imagine some (probably many) of them decided to stay in
the nice climate, space and decided to assimiliate (as K points out "Bueno dias
Lowes" "Norse por favor":)

Side Note:
Check out William Z Ripley's "Races of Europe" I believe from memory plate 16,
Danish man in York (dark beard, beady eyes) .  I put that up on my wall at work
next to all my great grandfathers...my coworkers point to it and say, "hey that
looks like you, who are the other guys?!"