YANCEY-L Archives

Archiver > YANCEY > 2006-02 > 1140010881

From: "Yancey, Dennis J" <>
Subject: RE: [YANCEY-L] Captain Yancey, Confederate States Army
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:41:21 -0500

see:

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dyancey&id=I15386

http://www.the10thvirginia.org/martz.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/7647/wby2pic.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwayne Yancey [mailto:]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:57 PM

Well, I know that Deerfield and Augusta County arejust south of
Rockingham County in the Shenandoah Valley.

I also know that one Captain Yancey in that area was Captain William
Benjamin Yancey of Rockingham County -- also known as "Captain Billy"
from the 10th Virginia Infantry, which served under Stonewall Jackson.
And that for part of the war, Jackson's army was encamped in Augusta
County, in the western part of the county, which is where Deerfield is.

What's the manuscript? Any dates?

I know that Jackson's army passed through that area to and from the
Battle of McDowell during the Valley Campaign of 1862.

I am descended through Captain Billy, by the way. I also possess a book
on the 10th Virginia Infantry, which does a good job of tracing its
movements, if you needed to track things down any further.

Cheers,
Dwayne Yancey
Fincastle, VA