YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2001-06 > 0993840843

From: "Andrew Sefton" <>
Subject: RE: Malton Messenger BMD's 2nd August 1856
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:54:03 +0100

Colin Hinson has posted 1854 and 1855 on GENUKI. It can be found from the
main Yorkshire page under the link of newspapers.
When I have finished 1856, I will send him the the whole year in a file for
him to convert into web pages.

Thanks to all the people who have sent me messages of encouragement. In
doing this work it does make me feel closer to the people of the time, the
names become familiar and I even feel sad when I have to type any tragic
events like the death of baby twins in my latest posting. I have been
intrigued by the occupations quoted and the greater variety of surnames
which you never hear of now. I wonder if some of the names have died out
nowadays.

I am always amused why someone may get a "much respected" or a "much and
deservedly respected" or a "highly respected" (is a "highly" more important
than a "much"!). There again to have an Esq. means you are not working
class. Do the people who are not "mourned by a large circle of friends" feel
socially inferior? Before I get any sillier I will finish.

Andrew Sefton
Pocklington

This thread: