YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2001-08 > 0997302422

From: Patricia Miller <>
Subject: Re: YORKSGEN-D Digest V01 #783
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 16:27:02 -0400

Hello,
I have just joined the list in hopes of finding some information about
my great-grandmother, Sarah Leah (Sallie) JACKSON, and her family. She
was b. 1846, the daughter of Samuel and Sarah (MITCHELL) JACKSON "of
Yorkshire, ENG." Her mother died and Samuel married (2) Mary (__?__).
The family then came to the US about 1858 and appear on the 1860 census
as living in Wayne Co, Indiana with the following listing:
Jackson, Samuel 43 Laborer b. ENG
" Mary 41 "
" Elizabeth 17 "
" Dyson 11 " (a family surname,
perhaps?)
" Joseph 6 "
" Susan 3 "
(Sarah/Sallie is not listed, nor is daughter Eliza, born 24 Nov 1842,
ENG.)
By 1868, the family is in Marshall Co, IN where daughter Eliza marries
Henry Haynes and in 1869, Sarah/Sallie marries John YOUNGMAN.
Other than Eliza and Sarah/Sallie, I cannot find any trace of other
family members in 1870. Did they return to England?
John and Sarah/Sallie Youngman had George Samuel, born 1872 in IN; she
died sometime before 1880, when John shows up in Tennessee with wife
Julia.
If you are still with me, I am wondering if someone could check the 1851
Yorkshire census for Samuel and Sarah Jackson? Or the 1871 census for
Samuel and Mary, if they did return to England? Any help or suggestions
would be deeply appreciated!

Pat

This thread: