YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2001-08 > 0997714021

From: "Andrew Vevers" <>
Subject: Re: Finding a will
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:47:01 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Withers" <>
To: <>
Sent: 13 August 2001 15:04

> Under English probate law it is not where you die that is important, but
the location of your goods and chattels. An apparent exception to this
general rule occurs when someone dies abroad. This is because in addition to
his good and chattels in this country he is deemed to be normally in
possession of his wearing apparrel and purse (at least) when abroad.

> This being the case, the most likely place for a Will to be proven (if
there was one) or for Letters of Administration to be granted (if there was
no Will) is in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. These Wills and Admons,
together with surname indexes, are at the Family Records Centre in London.

> Hope this helps
>
> Colin Blanshard Withers

Many thanks Colin. I've called the FRC as a result of your email, and they
may have what I'm after. I'm asking around my local archives to see if they
can get me an index, but I wondered if anybody can tell me what there is up
north.

Andy Vevers, Sheffield

This thread: