YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2002-06 > 1023111419

From: "Roy Stockdill" <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] 1881 census: L O K
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:36:59 +0000

"Vivienne Simmons" <> wrote.....

> Thanks for the all of the responses so far. I had a good chuckle but I'm
> not sure the census taker would have had much sense of humour, especially
> after tramping the streets for hours. Robert's suggestion that it might be
> LOP (rather than LOK) on the original census was attractive, but I seems
> strange that a married woman would live on the premises of her employer
> rather than with her family.
>
> I'm sorry I didn't post the full entry, and for wasting your time (it didn't
> occur to me that anyone would look for it in the 1881 CDs - it should have).
> Here it is. It isn't obvious, but this entry relates to both my Durham and
> Yorkshire family research (marriage connection).
>
> Dwelling: No 8 Hedworth Place
> Census Place: Monkwearmouth Shore, Durham, England
> Source: FHL Film 1342205 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5006 Folio 45 Page
> 83
> Marr Age Sex Birthplace
> Geo. DUNN M 28 M Monkwearmouth, Durham, England
> Rel: Head
> Occ: Iron Puddler
> Sarah DUNN M 28 F Lincoln, England
> Rel: Wife
> Occ: Housekeeper (L O K)
> Mary Sarah DUNN 2 F Monkwearmouth, Durham, England
> Rel: Daur
> James CAROL U 32 M Sunderland, Durham, England
> Rel: Border
> Occ: General Labourer
> Leonard DUNN U 31 M Pelton, Durham, England
> Rel: Brother
> Occ: Seaman<<

I LOOKED at the disc with Durham on it (Northern Borders and
Miscellany Region) and using the advanced neighbours' search I found
10 other entries with "lok" against the occupation. In every case,
the person concerned was down as a housekeeper, sometimes of what
would seem to be a private household but also occasionally of
lodgings. The relationship to head of household differed - sometimes
it was a wife, but sometimes a mother, sister or head of household
herself.

Occupations in the 1881 census were listed under various categories
and I suspect "lok" related to some category to do with domestic
service - it could standing for "lodgings keeper", though why a
housewife would appear as this I'm not quite certain. If I find out
more, I will post it to the list.

Roy Stockdill
Editor, the Journal of One-Name Studies
Editor, "My Ancestors Were..." series (Society of Genealogists)
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does he will tell you, if he does not why humiliate him? - Canon Sydney Smith

This thread: