YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2002-06 > 1023383205

From: Judy and Tom Lundeen <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] occupation - Cloth dresser
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:06:48 -0500

You wrote (6/6/02 2:10 AM):

>Hairdresser - Written as Hair-dresser with a hyphen, in 'A Second Letter to
>Her Grace the Duchess of Devonshire 1777', and in the eighteenth century a
>hair-dresser was a trade description of a person who offered the service of
>hair dressing, but not necessarily of hair cutting. In the Georgian and
>Victorian period it was usual to designate the services offered e.g. ' S
>Hicks of Angel St, Cardiff, Perfumer, Ladies' and Gentlemen's Hair Cutter,
>Dresser and ornamental Hair Manufacturer'
>
>(from: An Illustrated Dictionary of Hairdressing and Wigmaking by James
>Stevens Cox 1989)
>
>Horsehair (according to the above book) was, and still is, used for legal
>wigs, and is now imported from Japan for the purpose.

Lesley:

Thank you very much for that information. It was, indeed, written using a
hyphen, but we failed to make the connection, thinking that "hairdressing
salons" were of more recent vintage. Once again, the accumulated
knowledge of Yorksgen shines through, and we find ourselves richer (well,
wiser, anyway) for it!

Best regards,

Judy and Tom Lundeen
Palatine, Illinois, USA

Personal web pages: http://www.lundeen.org/
Genealogy pages: http://www.lundeen.org/genealogy.html
Our YORKSGEN pages: http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/
1881 Census pages: http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/1881_Census/

Downloadable 1881 Census surname counts from Yorkshire, useful
for spotting mistranscriptions, available by surname initial:
http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/1881_Census/surname_counts/

Useful spreadsheets for a variety of genealogical purposes, all
donated by generous members of the Yorksgen mailing list:
http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/spreadsheets/

Need IGI batch numbers for Yorkshire? Download PDF file from:
http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/downloads/

View our LONGFELLOWs one-name study at:
http://www.longfellows.org/

Researching SMITH, LONGFELLOW, HENDERSON, REDMAN, BROOK and HANBY
in Yorkshire (West Riding), greater Bradford - Leeds area;
and SMITH in the Sproatley area of East Riding.

This thread: