YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2002-06 > 1023435670

From: "Pam Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] occupation - Cloth dresser
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:41:10 +1000

Dear Judy and Tom, My great-grandfather, a Scarborough man who went to
New Zealand in 1864 in a wooden sailing barque, was a barber at the Thames
(Coromandel Peninsular) for about 15 years after travelling the far north of
the North Island. After a 6 month trip home he opened a shop in Auckland,
where he called himself a hairdresser, so I reckon hair-drefser is just a
fancy name for barber. He used to shave people, supply perfumes, and
possibly dressed womens' hair as well. The Maoris at Thames used to ask for
"ikkipenny de stink" (sixpence-worth of perfume). He was definitely
heterosexual, a devout Wesleyan and lay-preacher, came from a family
connected with the sea, but was lame, something wrong with his hip and they
had to lift him onto his horse.
Regards, Pam SMITH, Brisbane, Australia.